"Pacifica: Worth A Visit Along Highway 1" Pacifica by TooTallFinn24
Pacifica Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 30 photos
Growing up on the San Francisco Peninsula, Pacifica was not a destination town to visit. As a young boy my uncle used to take me to Pacifica to a rifle range that was tucked into one of the many steep valleys. Other than that it was a place to just drive through on my way to some of the fine beaches of San Mateo County
Returning this week I was stunned by the transformation. Several hardworking individuals over the years have transformed the ocean front of Pacifica into an attractive coastal community. Heading down to San Jose, one late March afternoon I was surprised to see how far this community had come since my last visit.
Today, Pacifica is a city of about 38,000 people spread out over about 10 square miles. Most of the population works in or near San Francisco and the largest employer is the Pacifica School District. The commute to San Francisco takes place along busy but scenic Highway 1 by car or bus since BART does not extend as far south as the city.
The photo above is of Sanchez Adobe the oldest building in San Mateo County. The adobe has been an Indian village, a hotel, a residence, and an artichoke storage facility just to name a few of the uses. The site that houses the adobe has been occupied since Prehistoric times. The adobe can be viewed at limited times on weekdays and weekends.
The beachfront in downtown Pacifica has transformed from a series of shacks with no coastal access to a beautiful beach. This along with the other beaches south of the community make Pacifica a great destination for getting out to the beach.
Just a few of the beaches include Linda Mar (Pacifica State Beach), Rockaway Beach, and Montara Beach
First off Barbara's Fish Trap is not in Pacifica. It is eleven miles south in the tiny town of Princeton, just north of... more travel advice
Mention a tunnel in California on Virtual Tourist and most likely all but a few will yawn and look for a more jaw... more travel advice
TooTallFinn24's Related Pages
Pacifica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pacifica: Worth A Visit Along Highway 1"
- "Home with a Capital H"
- "Pacifica and Devil's Slide"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pacifica
- Hotels in Pacifica
- Transportation in Pacifica
- Restaurants in Pacifica
- Warnings and Dangers in Pacifica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pacifica
- 6 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Pacifica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pacifica
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: Suggestions for a day itinerary"
- Wrote a Review FOG! in Pacifica Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fantastic Fresh Fish!"
- Commented on one of TooTallFinn24's Pacifica travel pages
- created a Pacifica Travel Page "Pacifica: Worth A Visit Along Highway 1"
Photos in PacificaSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sacramento Intro, 49 reviews, 167 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 31 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chico Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davis Intro, 20 reviews, 53 photos
- Granada Intro, 20 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad Caverns National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 32 photos
- Toledo Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos