"Pacifica: Worth A Visit Along Highway 1" Pacifica by TooTallFinn24

Pacifica Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 30 photos

Growing up on the San Francisco Peninsula, Pacifica was not a destination town to visit. As a young boy my uncle used to take me to Pacifica to a rifle range that was tucked into one of the many steep valleys. Other than that it was a place to just drive through on my way to some of the fine beaches of San Mateo County

Returning this week I was stunned by the transformation. Several hardworking individuals over the years have transformed the ocean front of Pacifica into an attractive coastal community. Heading down to San Jose, one late March afternoon I was surprised to see how far this community had come since my last visit.

Today, Pacifica is a city of about 38,000 people spread out over about 10 square miles. Most of the population works in or near San Francisco and the largest employer is the Pacifica School District. The commute to San Francisco takes place along busy but scenic Highway 1 by car or bus since BART does not extend as far south as the city.

The photo above is of Sanchez Adobe the oldest building in San Mateo County. The adobe has been an Indian village, a hotel, a residence, and an artichoke storage facility just to name a few of the uses. The site that houses the adobe has been occupied since Prehistoric times. The adobe can be viewed at limited times on weekdays and weekends.

Fantastic Ocean Beaches

The beachfront in downtown Pacifica has transformed from a series of shacks with no coastal access to a beautiful beach. This along with the other beaches south of the community make Pacifica a great destination for getting out to the beach.

Just a few of the beaches include Linda Mar (Pacifica State Beach), Rockaway Beach, and Montara Beach

• Last visit to Pacifica: Mar 2013
  • Intro Written Mar 28, 2013

• Agraichen's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Next time I'm in No CA I'll have to try to visit to see what my old appartment looks like today. I was about 300 ft from the clifts overlooking the beach on the north side.

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo
      Mar 29, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I knew there had to be a song about this. Thanks for sharing Al!

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo
      Mar 29, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Al- My tunnel page is up. Got a great photo from a flicker bud that shows the construction. The tunnel is absolutely an engineering marvel considering what they had to go through.

TooTallFinn24

“Travel is the only thing you can buy that makes you richer.”

Badges & Stats in Pacifica

Have you been to Pacifica?

Latest Activity in Pacifica