"Nevada City- Making Gold From Its Historic Past" Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City by TooTallFinn24
Nevada City Travel Guide: 132 reviews and 319 photos
Up and down the Northern Sierra Nevada foothills there are numerous cities that were part of the great 1850's California gold rush. However Nevada City stands near the top of the list of gold rush cities that have preserved the memories of the past in a way that make tourists flock to visit this town.
Talking to residents, business owners and staff at the Chamber of Commerce during my December, 2011 visit gave me some insights as to why Nevada City draws more tourist revenue than other gold rush cities. In 1985 the City Council decided to make the entire downtown area listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This made it more difficult to tear down or significantly change the facade of buildings in the downtown area. Other cities had simply designated individual buildings to be given historic status. A strong consensus and plan among business owners and leadership by the City Manager of Nevada City were other reasons I heard as to why the City has become such a tourist mecca.
Today, Nevada City numbers barely 3,000 people. A far cry from the over 10,000 gold crazy folks that made it their home in the 1850's. Back then the City was so big that only Sacramento and San Francisco exceeded it in size.
(Picture is of Firehouse Number 1 on Coyote Street)
Driving up to Nevada City recently I was reminded how steep and narrow some of the streets are. For those who want the City on foot bring some comfortable walking shoes and prepare to climb up and down Main Street, Commercial Street, Pine Street and others. The first words that were uttered to me in the morning by one of the staffers at the Chamber of Commerce was where did you park and did you remember to set your hand brake! Apparently runaway cars are an all to frequent occurrence when i talked to one of the members of the Nevada City Police Force in back of City Hall.
If you only have a short time to see Nevada City I would recommend taking a walking tour. Start at the Chamber of Commerce office on 132 Main Street and pick up a free map and then heading over to Robinson Plaza next door to see all the historical markers. The eight to ten sights identified are all on four streets. It is less than a two mile round trip even if you walk across the Pine Street Bridge.
If you have more time look around at one of the museums that are open. There are three or four depending on the day of the week. Have a casual lunch or a more formal lunch and dinner at the restaurants I and other reviewers have suggested.
I think you will find Nevada City very friendly.
- Pros:Historic, Cute with Great Restaurants
- Cons:Hilly and Hard to Park
- In a nutshell:One of the California Gold Rush Towns
South Yuba River State Park is a surprise of wonderfully preserved bridges, great hiking trails, brilliant scenery and a... more travel advice
Very isolated and about sixteen miles down an unpaved road from Nevada City is the old town of North Bloomfield. First... more travel advice
TooTallFinn24's Related Pages
Nevada City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nevada City- Making Gold From Its Historic Past"
- "Relive the Gold Rush"
- "Nevada City - A Gold Country Nugget"
- "Old Time Gold Mining Town"
- "Nevada City,California"
- "THE GOLD COUNTRY GETAWAY, NEVADA CITY"
- "Nevada City - Queen of the Northern Mines"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nevada City
- Hotels in Nevada City
- Transportation in Nevada City
- Nightlife in Nevada City
- Restaurants in Nevada City
- Shopping in Nevada City
- Warnings and Dangers in Nevada City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nevada City
- 23 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Nevada City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nevada City
- Posted in Travel Hawaii (State of) Forum "Re: Maui hotel"
- Commented on one of TooTallFinn24's Nevada City tips
- Wrote a Review South Yuba State Park in Nevada City Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "South Yuba State Park"
- updated a Nevada City Travel Page "Nevada City- Making Gold From Its Historic Past"
Photos in Nevada CitySee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sacramento Intro, 49 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 31 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chico Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davis Intro, 20 reviews, 53 photos
- Granada Intro, 20 reviews, 41 photos
- Vicksburg Intro, 13 reviews, 42 photos
- Marseille Intro, 12 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad Caverns National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 32 photos