"Grass Valley: Historic Gold Mining Town" Grass Valley by TooTallFinn24
Grass Valley Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 66 photos
Like its sister town Nevada City, Grass Valley developed based on the discovery of gold. Early settlers the area were prospectors from Oregon or farmers looking to develop land in the foothills. Legend has it that gold was discovered one day when a farmer stubbed his toe in a field, displacing a rock that was filled with gold.
When gold was not easily found on the surface the area took to hydraulic mining. To mine the area a large group of individuals who worked in the tin mines of Cornwall, England moved to the area. Their mining skills were exactly what Grass Valley needed to hydraulically mine the gold.
Two mines were responsible for the growth of the mining industry in town. The Empire Mine and the North State Mine produced over 150 million dollars of gold until they were both closed in 1956. The California State Parks Department purchased the Empire State Mine property and today operates an excellent state park in the area chronicling the history of the mine.
Today Grass Valley has nearly 13,000 residents. Its downtown is much bigger than neighboring Nevada City and does not have the same historic feel as its sister city. Most of the historic buildings are located on Mill or Main Streets in town.
- Pros:Historic and Picturesque
- Cons:Not as cute as Nevada City
- In a nutshell:Small town feel with a strong downtown
Mill Street provides the essence of Grass Valley's historical district. Located just off Main Street, about five blocks... more travel advice
The Grass Valley Daily Morning Union was one of the first newspapers in the California foothills. It began publication... more travel advice
TooTallFinn24's Related Pages
Grass Valley Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Grass Valley: Historic Gold Mining Town"
- "California Gold Country"
- "Grass Valley, California"
- "The Gold-Mining City of Grass Valley"
- "Hometown: Grass Valley, CA"
- "One day i will to Penn Valley.Lake Tahoe.and more"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grass Valley
- Hotels in Grass Valley
- Nightlife in Grass Valley
- Restaurants in Grass Valley
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grass Valley
- 10 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Grass Valley?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grass Valley
Photos in Grass ValleySee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sacramento Intro, 49 reviews, 167 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 31 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chico Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davis Intro, 20 reviews, 53 photos
- Granada Intro, 20 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad Caverns National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 32 photos
- Toledo Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos