"Take A Walk: Have a Beer Munich 2010" Munich by TooTallFinn24

Munich Travel Guide: 4,458 reviews and 10,533 photos

Immediately upon arriving in Munich at the train station I felt both relaxed and excited at the same time. The hotel was just a few blocks from the train station and even though it was through a somewhat rough neighborhood I felt at ease and fearless.

It was mid April and the weather was just turning warmer, trees were blossoming and it was a great time to be visiting this fascination town in the very heart of Bavaria.

There is so much to do in Munich. Seeing the historical sights, the museums, the open markets, the beer gardens and even the palace.

Vibrant Munich

The day we arrived we were told to avoid the downtown area because of all of the celebrations going on. Bayern Munich had just won a German soccer championship. We decided to ignore the advice and headed downtown. The streets were absolutely packed with Bavern fans carrying beers and singing songs. All of the bars were packed with fans that were joining in on the fun. Loads of police stood by in case of trouble but aside from an occasional drunk fan there were no problems. The picture below is one of main that shows the celebration during that time in April, 2010.

We stayed in an area just a few blocks south of the train station. It was a great location and accessible to the main sites of Munich. Even though the area contained a number of adult businesses we never felt unsafe walking the streets of Munich.

Schloss Nymphenburg

Located just about a fifteen minute ride by street car or the U-Bahn is the magnificent Schloss Nymphenburg Palace. The palace was built to be the summer residence of the heir to the throne Max Emanuel. Construction of the massive residence began in 1664 just west of the City in open fields. Today the palace is in the midst of Munich with absolutely gorgeous grounds.

A wide variety of tours are available. We found that the palace was least crowded early in the morning on weekdays. Aside from the main palace itself the grounds are a joy to walk around. See Things To Do for a more detailed description.

• Pros:Great Fun Safe City, Lots To See
  • Cons:Crowded
  • Last visit to Munich: Apr 2010
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:48 AM

Ingrid- Indeed! All of Germany is wonderful but Munich had a special ambiance after the soccer finals. Ty for visiting!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2015 at 11:36 PM

Sounds like you had a lot of fun in our secret capital :-))

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2013 at 5:42 AM

Thank you Steven for bringing back memory about Munich and its sights including Glockenspiel and Schloss Nymphenburg!

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2012 at 10:33 AM

On our next trip to Europe (God willing in a few years) we hope to get to Germany and other Northern and Eastern European countries. Will have to review your tips before we go.

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Rich- A belated thanks again for stopping by I think you will enjoy Munich as much as Barcelona.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2012 at 5:09 AM

I enjoyed your reviews about Munich, a city that unfortunately i have only passed through. I know there are some major art museums that i would certainly enjoy seeing. I was really happy to see your tip about surfing, certainly not something one would expect to see in Munich. this is the sort of thing i enjoy finding outside the guidebooks. Well done Steven!

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Great page about Munich! Thank you for sharing your memories.
    Munich is one of the places in Germany I want to return to the most!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Nice tips on Munich. I agree that the science museum (Deutsches Museum) is one of the highlights.

• AngMimi's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Munich such a lovely place to visit, especially the Palace, Garden, museum and the open market. Thanks for sharing, Steven.

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Thanks for the comments on my few Munich pages Manara! The science museum in Munich can definitely be an all day visit or even longer.

• Manara's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I was impressed by the Science Museum, and my husband decided that his dream job would be to build models for such a museum.

“Travel is the only thing you can buy that makes you richer.”

Badges & Stats in Munich