"Tavira: Pretty Town With Fascinating Urban Core" Top 5 Page for this destination Tavira by TooTallFinn24
Tavira Travel Guide: 194 reviews and 385 photos
Tavira was the first town we visited in Portugal. It remains to this day relatively unchanged compared to its neighbors close by in the Algarve.
What we enjoyed about it was its charm, relative quietness and great architecture. Walking on the narrow cobblestones streets was a joy even if did allow for a few surprises from motor bikes and cars that had a much better sense of the town that we did.
From a setting standpoint Tavira is like going back in time several hundred years. The scale of the town is so pedestrian. Buildings along the water are never over four stories high.
On a Sunday afternoon after stopping in noisy and very touristy Albufiera, Portugal, it was a joy to return to quiet and relaxed Tavira an hour later. The change both in scenery and pace of life between the two cities is remarkable even though they are relatively few kilometers apart.
We spent two days in May, 2012. The nights were spent at a small bed and breakfast in the old part of town. Great place and including breakfast on their rooftop terrace only 42 euros a night! Yes this is not a misprint and just under half of the price we stayed at the most expensive place on our three week trip. Of course finding the place coming in on the N125 as opposed to the A 22 was definitely difficult. Yes not a misprint.
One of Tavira's many great assets is its friendly residents. While my portugese was limited to a few words residents were more than helpful to direct us to places of interest and always with big genuine smiles.
Unlike many other VT members, we did not go to the marvelous beach which can only be reached by a water taxi or a hired boat. Our days in Tavira were spent walking around noticing interesting architectural details and exploring small businesses in the City.
Historically Tavira was first settled during the Bronze Age. Recalling from required college history classes this was the age before Christ when metal including copper was first used. Tavira was settled around 8 BC by the Phoenicians who were expanding into the Iberian Peninsula. The city was first called Ball Saphon after the Phoenician Thunder and Sea god. When the name was changed to present day is not clear.
The Moors occupied Tavira beginning in the 8th century AD. The City became an important agricultural and fishing center in the Algarve. Evidence of this Moorish influence is apparent in the city's many buildings with white washed walls, Moorish doors and terraces.
Fast forward to the 18th century five centuries past the time that Dom Paio Peres Correia and his knights took the city from the Moors. In 1755 Tavira along with a large portion of Portugal was nearly completely destroyed by the great Lisbon earthquake.
The city chose to rebuild many of its buildings during that century in the style that reflected its historical past. That trend continued throughout the years and helped make Tavira more reflective of its past than other Algarve cities. The city has also been relatively firm in avoiding the pressure from other western influences in developing its historical center and beaches at the expense of great buildings. For that we were grateful and enjoyed the beauty of this southeastern Algarve town.
- Pros:Beautiful City Center with Great Architectural Detail
- Cons:Easy to Get Lost. Hey maybe this could be a pro!
- In a nutshell:Southeast Portugal Town Worthy of Your Time
I have to love the resourcefulness of some of the Portugese men who will offer to take you on any size of boats to see... more travel advice
This church is in the old town part of Tavira. It stands close to the much larger Santa Maria Church. However from the... more travel advice
TooTallFinn24's Related Pages
Tavira Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tavira a paradise still not spoilt"
- "Tavira a charming Town in the South East Algarve."
- "Tavira: Pretty Town With Fascinating Urban Core"
- "Nice City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tavira
- Hotels in Tavira
- Transportation in Tavira
- Nightlife in Tavira
- Restaurants in Tavira
- Shopping in Tavira
- Warnings and Dangers in Tavira
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tavira
- 10 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Tavira?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tavira
- Posted in Travel New York City Forum "Re: Tanzania Safety"
- Wrote a Review Get a Town Map or GPS in Tavira Transportation
- Commented on one of TooTallFinn24's Tavira travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hire A Boat? Even A Small One?"
- updated a Tavira Travel Page "Tavira: Pretty Town With Fascinating Urban Core"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sacramento Intro, 48 reviews, 163 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 31 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chico Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davis Intro, 20 reviews, 53 photos
- Granada Intro, 20 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad Caverns National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 32 photos
- Toledo Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos
Latest Tavira hotel reviews
- PrimaSol Golden Club Tavira
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Convento de Santo Antonio
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Jun 2, 2009
- Pedras d'el Rei
- 59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 31, 2013
- Quinta do Morgado
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 13, 2013
- Cabanas Resort Park
- 209 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Hotel Porta Nova
- 242 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Hotel Vila Gale Albacora
- 151 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort and Spa
- 2369 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Casa Vale del Rei
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 14, 2013
- Tavira Inn
- 132 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 9, 2013
- Residencial Imperial
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Hotel Eurotel Tavira
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 31, 2012
- Vila Gale Tavira
- 348 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Tavira Garden
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 11, 2013
- Quinta Fonte do Bispo
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 20, 2012