"Arcos De La Frontera" Top 5 Page for this destination Arcos de la Frontera by TooTallFinn24

Arcos de la Frontera Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 166 photos

Arcos De La Frontera was the first Andalucian hill town we visited as we drove from Seville. The directions to the old city are not clearly marked so we ended up driving out of the city the first time before learning how to get to the,"ciudad central." There is a great underground parking lot as you come to Plaza De Espana before you enter the more narrow streets of the ciudad central. Park in it. Don't bother to look for on street parking. The garages is inexpensive and secure.

The walk from the parking lot up the hill to Plaza Del Cabildo is a little steep but not overly taxing. It is also a great way to get accustomed to the layout of Arcos.

Arcos: A Brief History

Archaeologists have found evidence that stone age dwellers lived in the hills of Arcos. There are also some Roman ruins in the area.

Arcos was a Moorish community in the 11th century. In the mid 13th century Alfonso the Wise conquered the town from the Moors and built a Gothic Christian cathedral. The town received its name from the battle with the Moors because the town was located on the frontier of the war between the Christians and the Moors.

On the eastern side of the town lies the Guadalete River which is also visible from many of the overlooks higher in the town.

• Pros:Striking Andalucian Hillside Town With Many Services
  • In a nutshell:Worthy of Seeing on A Visit of Andalucian Towns
  • Last visit to Arcos de la Frontera: May 2012
  • Intro Written May 18, 2012

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2012 at 6:02 AM

Happy Birthday, Steven! I was glad to read that you, as a city planner, are in favor of crooked streets as "a great way to slow down traffic and make the area more livable."

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Thanks Don! Yes anything we can do to slow down traffic and make the neighborhoods more liveable is an accomplishment in a society that is so in a hurry to get some place. Hope u are well and ty for all the great tips and reviews of my pages.

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I thought the pots along the fence were unique and very cool! Ty.

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Love the decorative pot custom,how pretty and what a fabulous place.Thanks for sharing.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2012 at 6:55 PM

What a gorgeous place! Nice page!

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM

I stayed in Arcos for a few days. I have to agree with your tip about driving, i think that driving on those narrow streets up at the top of the town is absolute madness! I arranged a visit there for my parents and they got there the day that the city festival started and they got to see all the women dressed up and the horses. The pictures they showed me were excellent! You were lucky to go in spring, though I have to say that when i was there in autumn the town was still very pretty, just less colorful

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:13 AM

This was the first hill town we visited in Spain. We parked at a centrally located garage and then hiked up the hill. Thanks for the kind comments on my pictures. I hope your parents enjoyed the trip to this part of Spain :)

TooTallFinn24

“Travel is the only thing you can buy that makes you richer.”

Badges & Stats in Arcos de la Frontera

Have you been to Arcos de la Frontera?

Latest Activity in Arcos de la Frontera