"Where the Ocean Meets the Sea: Tarifa" Tarifa (Cadiz) by TooTallFinn24
Tarifa (Cadiz) Travel Guide: 202 reviews and 413 photos
If you were to combine part of the old word charm of a white washed village with a combination of the beaches of the Mediterranean Sea nd the Atlantic Ocean then you know you must be in Tarifa. Driving from Gibraltar, you descend down a hill to Tarifa on your left. From the highway it is not particularly impressive but once you get into town and the beaches it is a completely different.
Tarifa is by no means a large place. Located on the Costa Del Sol it can be walked in a short period of time. During Roman times the city was known as Julia Transducta or simply Transducta. Some scholars believe that Tarifa is almost as old as Cadiz. The city got its current name in the 7th century from Tarif ibn Malik who led a Muslim raid on the area.
Because of the coming together of the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean the area usually has very strong winds. The winds has made Tarifa a center for windsurfing. On a given day there could be tens to hundreds of windsurfers north of town trying their skills for a ride. However when we were there in May of 2012 there was very little wind.
Exploring the Town Versus the Area
We chose to stay north of town on a small farmhouse. The farmhouse was less than 100 yards from the ocean and a lagoon which is one of the windsurfers favorite spots in the area. The windsurfers arrive early and stay almost to sunset.
For us Tarifa's downtown was not as interesting as some of the neighboring cities in Andalucia. So after a brief visit to the old city we focused our two day stay on the area around Tarifa. This included stops for watching windsurfing, walking the boardwalk into town and along the beach, Punta Paloma Sand Dunes, and the ruins at Baeolo Claudia.
Tarifa is the best place to take a quick hydrofoil to Tangiers, Morrocco. The short ride takes about 35 minutes and the round trip cost is about 65 euros per person which includes a tour. hydrofoils leave every hour.
We decided against a trip to Tangiers and focused our two days in Tangiers relaxing and hiking with no interruptions from locals constantly trying to sell us goods. We definitely made the right decision hearing some of the reaction from tourists coming back from Tangiers after a full day excursion.
- Pros:Relaxing Beach City With Oldworld Charm
- Cons:Can Be Windy
- In a nutshell:Recommended for a Relaxed Coast de La Luz Visit
While at Baeolo Claudia we noticed at least two rather large excavations going on. Many young and older folks were busy... more travel advice
Kite surfing is something that nearly everyone we talked to has done in Tarifa. So it doesn't matter if you are too old... more travel advice
TooTallFinn24's Related Pages
Tarifa (Cadiz) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Awesome Tarifa - wild and interesting!"
- "Tarifa - Costa de la Luz"
- "Tarifa - the city of the wind"
- "The REAL windy Tarifa"
- "Keeweechic's Tarifa"
- "Wind City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- Hotels in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- Transportation in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- Nightlife in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- Restaurants in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- Shopping in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- Warnings and Dangers in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- 13 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Tarifa (Cadiz)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- Posted in Travel Europe Forum "Re: Venice "
- Commented on one of TooTallFinn24's Tarifa (Cadiz) tips
- Wrote a Review Baeolo Claudia: Current Excavations in Tarifa (Cadiz) Off The Beaten Path
- updated a Tarifa (Cadiz) Travel Page "Where the Ocean Meets the Sea: Tarifa"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Quiet Farmhouse Setting North of Town"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sacramento Intro, 48 reviews, 163 photos
- Orvieto Intro, 23 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chico Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davis Intro, 20 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 22 reviews, 48 photos
- Granada Intro, 20 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad Caverns National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 32 photos
- Toledo Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (74)
Latest Tarifa (Cadiz) hotel reviews
- Beach Hotel Dos Mares
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Pension Correo
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- Melia Atlanterra
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2012
- La Codorniz
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Hostal Alborada
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 28, 2013
- Pension Facundo
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Misiana Boutique Hotel
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013