"Zahara: Beautifully Set Andalucian Hill Town" Zahara by TooTallFinn24
Zahara Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 42 photos
Just about 10 km off the road from Arcos to Rondo, is the enchanting hill town of Zahara. The first viewing of the town is exciting because of the steepness of the hill and the presence of the Moorish castle on top of the hill. Viewing the town from a far is like a combination of reading a book about Renaissance Europe and watching a movie at the same time. So Zahara should first off be about experiencing that first view, stopping, pausing and reflecting on the beauty of a town set so beautifully.
Zahara, which is sometimes referred to as Zahara of the Sierra, was first a Moorish fort that provided an excellent defense against attacking armies. The remains of the castle sit on top of the town and it is an easy walk to the top of the castle. From the castle, there are some pretty amazing views of the valley.
There is a man made lake which you cross over in getting to the town. The lake or reservoir was completed in 1991 to provide water and power for the region.
What struck me about visiting the town was the near absolute silence during the middle of the day. Aside from the wind and the rain there was literally no other sounds as we drove through one side of the town to the other.
- Pros:Beautifully Set Andulucian Hillside Town
- Cons:Remote With Limited Services
- In a nutshell:Definitely Worth a Quick Stop
As you approach Zahara from the main east-west road you run into a large reservoir that must be crossed to gain access... more travel advice
These were two pretty churches among many in Zahara. The first is De La Mesa Church and the picture is from just the... more travel advice
TooTallFinn24's Related Pages
Zahara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Zahara: Beautifully Set Andalucian Hill Town"
- "Zahara or Zohara, whats in a name"
- "Zahara de la Sierra"
- "Zahara de la Sierra,Grazalema National Park's gate"
- "Zahara de la Sierra"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zahara
- 7 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Zahara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zahara
Photos in ZaharaSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sacramento Intro, 48 reviews, 163 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 31 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chico Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davis Intro, 20 reviews, 53 photos
- Granada Intro, 20 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad Caverns National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 32 photos
- Toledo Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos