"Mestre 2013: Working Class Town Close To Venice" Top 5 Page for this destination Mestre by TooTallFinn24
Mestre Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 212 photos
If the ridiculously high prices of Venice during the spring have you spinning, Mestre is a pleasant alternative. Mestre is located on the mainland as compared to Venice and the n Located just minutes by bus or train from Venice nice hotels can be had for about a third to half of what you would pay in Venice. True you might be missing out on that Venice charm but after twelve hours in Venice the allure of Venice gets stale.
When originally researching Mestre I ran into a tip by VT member Leics about a hotel there. Checking it out the Hotel Cris, located a short walk from the train station was a perfectly pleasant place to spend four nights. Nice rooms and a great breakfast made it a good place to rest at days end. For those that need a car while in the area the hotel even offers free parking on-site. More on the Hotel Cris later.
Aside from saving money the Mestre Train Station is less crowded than the one in Venice and also a convenient place to catch a quick train to close by Padova. Advantage Mestre again!
Mestre and its neighbor Carpenedo, which is visible as you leave the Marco Polo Airport, is one of the six boroughs of Venice. Mestre/Carpenedo located on the mainland is also the most populous area of Venice with a population of nearly 90,000 people according to Wiki but another source has the population as high as 140,000.
The area has grown significantly over the last century for a number of reasons. Growth from the adjacent port as well as new industry has fueled growth. Chemical plants taking advantage of the port location in Marghera have also addfed significant jobs and new residents. In addition, many residents from Venice proper have left the town either through eviction or high prices and moved to Mestre and other areas of the mainland.
Mestre is a very spread out town. This is important because in choosing a hotel there are many places advertised that are without public transportation or near the train station. Fortunately the hotel we chose was near to both.
While many including Rick Steves argue that Mestre has no charm I disagree. Starting from the hotel Cris we took a walk down the Via Piave to the first major traffic circle. Turning left on the Via Carducci, the Plazza Ferretto is a big plaza with many historical buildings and places to eat. There is a historic belltwoer and theatre that will be reviewed separately. Walking there on a Friday evening we saw many Italian families out either walking, getting dinner, or having a gelato. A charming and pretty square. The Galleria Mattteoti a 19th century enclosed glass mall was also a stunning surprise.
Mestre also has a nice regional park along the water in Parco San Guiliano. Great views of the surrounding area and a unique view of the Venice Lagoon. Where was my camera then! This is also the location for many of the summer concerts in the Venice area. At close to 700 acres in size it is one of the largest public parks in Europe.
- Pros:Inexpensive alternative to stay, close to Venice
- Cons:Less charm than Venice
- In a nutshell:Great alternative to high cost Venice
The City of Mestre has made a concerted effort to change its image. Significant infrastructure improvements are visible... more travel advice
While hunting for a place that had been recommended by one of the staff at the Hotel Cris we ran into Brek's. It is... more travel advice
TooTallFinn24's Related Pages
Mestre Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mestre 2013: Working Class Town Close To Venice"
- "Much more than expected!"
- "Mestre, la terraferma Veneziana"
- "Mestre close to Venice"
- "Venetian Value"
- "Mainland Part Of Venice, Where Most Hotels Are"
- "Gateway to Venice Islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mestre
- Hotels in Mestre
- Transportation in Mestre
- Restaurants in Mestre
- Shopping in Mestre
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mestre
- 10 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (75)
Have you been to Mestre?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mestre
- Posted in Travel Valparaíso Forum "Re: What is the best way to get..."
- Commented on one of TooTallFinn24's Mestre travel pages
- Wrote a Review Check Out the Public Art in Mestre Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Check Out the Public Art"
- updated a Mestre Travel Page "Mestre 2013: Working Class Town Close To Venice"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sacramento Intro, 49 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 31 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chico Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davis Intro, 20 reviews, 53 photos
- Budapest Intro, 16 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cesky Krumlov Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos
- Granada Intro, 20 reviews, 41 photos
- Lucerne Intro, 13 reviews, 46 photos