"Cavendish" Cavendish by TooTallFinn24
Cavendish Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 8 photos
Cavendish was established in the late 18th century. The area was founded by three Scottish families who emigrated to the area. It developed as a farming community until the early 20th century.
The Cavendish area became most famous because of author Lucy Maud Montgomery was raised in the home of her maternal grandparents, who had a house and small farm immediately east of the Cavendish United Presbyterian Cemetery at the intersection of the Cavendish Road and Cawnpore Lane. Montgomery would also frequently visit her cousins' the MacNeill family, who owned a farm named Green Gables located west of the intersection. She would later find work in the community with the federal Post Office Department as a postmaster at the Cavendish Post Office. Montgomery's experiences in the community formed a strong impression on her and she would later include much of her experiences in this part of rural Prince Edward Island at the turn of the 20th century in the literary blockbuster Anne of Green Gables and subsequent works.
Following the critical acclaim of Montgomery's writing, as well as coincident with the increase in vehicle-based tourism throughout North America during the first half of the century, Cavendish began to evolve into primarily a resort community.
Driving through the town in October there are literally hundreds of cottages and small motels in the area. According to locals the area is packed with thousands of tourists from Eastern Canada during the months of July and August when the weather is warm.
- Pros:Great Natural Setting and Peaceful During Fall and Spring
- Cons:Town is Overly Touristy and Busy During Summer
TooTallFinn24's Related Pages
Cavendish Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Anne's Avonlea"
- "Cavendish - Prince Edward Island National Park"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cavendish
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Cavendish?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cavendish
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sacramento Intro, 48 reviews, 163 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 31 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chico Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davis Intro, 20 reviews, 53 photos
- Granada Intro, 20 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad Caverns National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 32 photos
- Toledo Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos