"Crazy Lima" Lima by TooTallFinn24

Lima Travel Guide: 1,224 reviews and 2,775 photos

Centro De Lima

Arrived in the Lima Harbor. Took a taxi downtown which was an experience. The traffic in Lima and the drivers are crazy! The size of the City is so enormous it feels almost as large as Mexico City with worse traffic. The air quality was also bad and stunk with the fumes of gasoline and diesel.

However I must say there was never a dull moment on that taxi ride downtown. Got dropped in Centro De Lima. My first reaction was what an incredible grouping of historical buildings.

Lima Was Once A Walled City

Lima in the 17th century was always threatened by pirates and raiders. So between the time of 1684 to 1687 extensive walls were built as fortifications around the city. Unfortunately in 1687 a massive earthquake destroyed much of the City including the City walls.

• Pros:Great Architecture and Historical Sites
  • Cons:Congested and Polluted
  • In a nutshell:You'll Either Love it or Hate It!
  • Last visit to Lima: Nov 2009
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• starship's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2015 at 9:18 AM

Nice page! I enjoyed Lima and what I saw in Peru as a whole! I agree the traffic was really crazy! We stayed in Miraflores and walked everywhere except for one taxi ride to the outskirts -- it was bumper to bumper! Also, luckily we never had a problem or felt unsafe at any time.

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo
      Oct 26, 2015 at 7:02 PM

Yes the traffic was definitely something else Sylvia. I am glad I didn't rent a car. Yes and I felt quite safe in Lima although I didnt venture out in the outlying suburbs at night. Thanks again!

• kharmencita's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Wow,really very interesting Building Architectures!

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Lima is an interesting place to visit however the traffic outside of the downtown is totally unbelievable. A complete zoo of cars positioning everywhere for a few inches.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I was happy to read your pages. From what I have read it seems Lima is often bypassed. I have heard wonders about the archaological museums here. Is it best to go to Peru with an agency or safe to do it solo?

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Catching a taxi here, sounds a bit scary! Thought the human billboard unusual, and they sure do like bright colours! An enjoyable page!

• AngMimi's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2012 at 4:36 AM

Steven, thanks for sharing. I would love to walk around and see the beautiful buildings. hmmmm..Nice... :-))

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Hello, Steven! Thanks for your story about the Crazy Lima!

• staindesign's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Thanks for stopping by my Lima page. I really enjoyed your photos, it looks like you had good weather. I went in the winter and my shots are quite glummy. Did you only visit Lima or other parts of the country?

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2011 at 3:20 AM

Nice photos from centro de Lima. I have only spent 5h in the centre between flights. Going back to the airport it was difficult first to find a taxi who wanted to take me there.

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2011 at 6:42 AM

Beautiful photos! I have been longing to go here and I think I would definitely fall into the Love It camp!

“Travel is the only thing you can buy that makes you richer.”

Badges & Stats in Lima