"Putre, Chile Unique Andean Village" Putre by TooTallFinn24
Putre Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 18 photos
On the road to Luaca National Park and Lake Chungara lies the charming town of Putre. It is one of the few villages located in the High Andean region of Chile. The town is home to about 1,400 residents and its history dates back several hundred years. The village sits at an altitude of about 3,500 meters.
What is interesting about the town of Putre is that it appears to have been largely untouched for several years. The town consists of less than 25 square blocks and contains several craft dealers and a bank. Putre is considered the provincial capital of Parincota province. The smaller town of Parinacota lies just up the road on the way to Lake Chungara.
What is also interesting about the town of Putre is the number of carved stone portals that adorn many of the houses in the town. Gorgeous craftmanship considering the conditions they must have been built under.
A previous VT writer has shown the town ably as it appears below from the International Highway that leads from Arica to La Paz.
At the time I was there, there was one bed and breakfast and one small hotel.
The church in the above picture, is the main focal point of town, and this particular version of the church was constructed in 1670. An earlier version of the church was destroyed then. The church is the main focal point of tourists that come to Putre either on their way to Bolivia or to the coast of Chile. The construction consists of mud, stone, and rock. An inside picture of the church is below.
Guanaco or these may be vicunas are often time mistaken for alpacas or llamas. Both these animals are a "camelid native." to South America. They are most numerous in Bolivia and Southern Chile. They stand about three to four feet in height and weigh up to 200 pounds. They generally live in two types of herds. Females and children with one domiant male. The other herd consists of males. I have absolutely no idea as to what herd I was observing in the picture. The herds become more visible as you descend the road from Putre to Lake Chungara. I was able to approach one of the guanaco to a distance of about 15 feet before it became board and left me.
When night falls in Putre, a magnificent world unfolds. Just look to the stars and watch as incredible detail in the sky begins to unravel. The planets and the stars are clearer than anywhere I have ever been. This of course is due to the fact that there is nearly no water vapor in the air and that there is few lights in the surrounding area. Litterally one can stay up all night and watch the performance in the sky.
- Pros:High Altitude Chilean Village, Charming
- Cons:Isolated, Limited Facilities
- In a nutshell:Intersting Village in the High Andean Mountains
Being the driest desert in the world has brought the Atacama Desert a unique notoriety. Because of the lack of water... more travel advice
Located a few miles up the road and about 1000 additional meters in altitude is Luaca National Park. The park is... more travel advice
TooTallFinn24's Related Pages
Putre Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Putre, Chile Unique Andean Village"
- "Putre and Lauca NP worth your while!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Putre
- Transportation in Putre
- Restaurants in Putre
- Shopping in Putre
- Warnings and Dangers in Putre
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Putre
- 5 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (72)
Have you been to Putre?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Putre
- Posted in Travel Helsinki Forum "day bus tickets"
- updated a Putre Travel Page "Putre, Chile Unique Andean Village"
- Commented on one of TooTallFinn24's Putre travel pages
- Wrote a Review Atacama: Home of Giant International Telescopes in Putre Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Atacama: Home of Giant International Telescopes"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sacramento Intro, 49 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 31 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chico Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davis Intro, 20 reviews, 53 photos
- Budapest Intro, 16 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cesky Krumlov Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos
- Granada Intro, 20 reviews, 41 photos
- Lucerne Intro, 13 reviews, 46 photos