"Back From Italy!" TooTallFinn24's Profile

A Little Background

Hello! My name is Steven and it's a joy to write a narrative for Virtual Tourist.

I have lived in several towns on the Peninsula; Brisbane, South San Francisco, San Bruno and most of my early life in San Carlos. In San Bruno, I lived under one mile from the SF Airport and still to this day no just about every in and out of that airport. Also time in Madison, Wisconsin and New York City working at the World Trade Center on Wall Street. i currently live in a gorgeous old Tudor/French Normandy home in Sacramento.

Travel doesn't have to be to a far off place or somewhere that everyone believes you must see before you die. Some of the greatest travel experiences I have encountered are in Northern California. Take a look at my "Sacramento, West Sacramento, Auburn, Chico, Davis, Nevada City and Sonoma " pages and there will soon be more to follow. I believe that it is important for those of us that have lots of experiences with nearby places to try and summarize some of an area's most interesting places and then keep them up to date.

What I've Done

Not wanting to break my back and die young like my father did I decided at an early age that I had to go to college and study hard. After a grinding six years plus of college and three degrees I worked as an urban planner at the regional, state, county and city level. I spent eight years working in the Governor's Office of Planning and Research under Jerry Brown in his first terms in office. In between I worked for Dean Witter in Sacramento and had the opportunity to work at the World Trade Center in New York City for just a short time. My last job was as the Planning Director of West Sacramento. I am married and have two great sons that live away from home.

Where I Have Been?

I have traveled now to twenty one countries and been to all but two of the fifty states in the U.S. and most provinces in Canada. I continue to be amazed at the diversity of sights and the strength of the people in the United States. There hasn't been a trip in years that I didn't come back from feeling fulfilled and enriched by the experiences. I only wish I had managed to take more pictures! Then when I did take them to manage them better!

Oh yes, the web page picture is of me and two of my former associates at the City where I worked for many years taken at a retirement party.

Fortunate

I feel fortunate to be among a select group of individuals to have the time and money to travel. With so many people having difficulty making ends meet or even surviving I sometimes feel guilty traveling. Does anyone else have those feelings as well?

Good Manners

At any early age I learned, "good manners cost nothing." I will always reply to any e-mail or post, at least once, regardless of who you are and whether we agree on something. The way I see it if you reached out and sent me a note I will do my best to respond.

Where Am I Going and Going Via Biking

I want to see things on my own terms walking or riding while I still can. I have been trying to get a job in Geneva, Switzerland with one of the United Nations agencies there. However with some minor complications the plan has been on hold for a while. I look for places that I can bike around in and feel safe from traffic.

Travels in Mid 2013 to Early 2014

This year was a great year for travel.

This year took us on a nearly one month trip to Italy. We traveled mostly by train and visited Rome, Sorento, Capri, Naples, Venice, Mestre, Padova, Milan, Cinque Terre, Pisa, Florence, Siena, Tuscan Countryside, Volterra, Orvieto and Civita

Then in mid September a long overdue trip to Glacier National Park. We found that it could snow heavily as early as September in Yellowstone so beware. So far I have completed just a few of the pages of areas and communities that I thought were interesting.

My most recent pages are;

Vicksburg, Mississippi April 2014

Orvieto, Italy

Civita, Italy

Padova, Italy

Meeting VT Members

This summer I had my first mini VT meet after two years as a member. I met Roxie and Leics in San Francisco for a lunch and tour of Chinatown. Both were delightful and it was good to put some faces on some VT members.

In March I met with Beausoleil (Sally) and her husband to discuss mutual interests and a trip to France.

Athletic Finnish Family

As you can see from my former cover photo I come from an active outdoor Finish family. I love to bike and ski even at an older age. In the cover photo is a picture of my two double cousins, Janet and Joy who completed a tough winter climb of Mount Kiliminjaro in Africa a few years back. The little sign, "got sisu," is a Finnish phrase that comes from that intense Scandinavian spirit. The phrase litterally means you finish what you start!

In the below photo are one of the volcanoes of Luaca National Park. The photo is taken at an elevation of about 16, 020 feet, the highest elevation I have ever climbed to. The air is so thin at this level that a simple walk can be a major achievement.

• Intro Updated Jun 25, 2014

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

TooTallFinn24

“Travel is the only thing you can buy that makes you richer.”

Real Name