"BACOLOD" Top 5 Page for this destination Bacolod by theguardianangel

Bacolod Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 305 photos

Introduction

Bacolod is located in the Western Visayas Region and being the capital of the Negros Occidental province.

It’s popularly known to be the “City of Smiles” because of the friendly people living in this highly urbanized area. I wasn’t aware that it’s also known to be called as the “Football City of the Philippines” until I have talked to some locals that the city hosted the Asian footballs since 2005 and in 2012 AFC Challenge cup qualification was held where the AZKALS (Phils. Representative) won against Mongolia.

Bacolod gained its popularity also of its MASSKARA FESTIVAL which is celebrated every 3rd weekend of October. The climax of which is the mardi-gras parade where people in costumes and masks dance to Latin rhthyms like the Rio de Janiero style.

The Langauge

Like the other Visayan People, the people here talk with a tone… in a sweet tone resembling the Iloilo folks speaking the dialect- Hiligaynon (different from what the Cebuanos’ dialect). I had a chance to talk to a local from Bacolod (he happened to be the taxi driver I rode from the airport), being curious I asked if they have the same language with the Iloilo people but the man said that they only have a few similarities but way too different. He also said that they use deeper Hiligaynon words than the people from Iloilo.

I really find these people very admiring on how the way they speak… it’s really sweet even if they get angry, the tone’s still the same. It’s really very odd.

The City

Thank God I had the chance to get out in the busy city of Manila and stayed in Bacolod for a while even it’s a call of work. I enjoyed our stay here because of the city’s serenity, food and the friendly people around. This is my first time to get a glimpse of Bacolod and it didn't fail me:)

The only problem I kept on encountering when I’m in Visayas Region is communication. Like in Cebu and Iloilo, a few locals in Bacolod speak Tagalog; they speak primarily using their own dialect- Hiligaynon and speak better in English. So when I need to communicate with other locals here, English is the easier way to get things done.

There are a lot of foreigners seen here, mostly Americans and Koreans. I believe they also find the city one of the great places to stay in the Philippines.

• Pros:friendly people
  • Cons:few speak Tagalog
  • In a nutshell:Bacolod: more than "The City of Smiles"
  • Last visit to Bacolod: Apr 2012
  • Intro Written May 5, 2012

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Bacolod is nice.
    I was there myself about a year ago.
    And I like that the bar has a vommit fee :).

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2012 at 6:35 AM

The festival sounds like a lot of fun. Neat to see all the little variances in language that you talked about.

theguardianangel

“Life is all about courage and going to the unknown.”

Badges & Stats in Bacolod

Have you been to Bacolod?

Latest Activity in Bacolod