"BACOLOD" Top 5 Page for this destination Bacolod by theguardianangel
Bacolod Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 305 photos
Bacolod is located in the Western Visayas Region and being the capital of the Negros Occidental province.
It’s popularly known to be the “City of Smiles” because of the friendly people living in this highly urbanized area. I wasn’t aware that it’s also known to be called as the “Football City of the Philippines” until I have talked to some locals that the city hosted the Asian footballs since 2005 and in 2012 AFC Challenge cup qualification was held where the AZKALS (Phils. Representative) won against Mongolia.
Bacolod gained its popularity also of its MASSKARA FESTIVAL which is celebrated every 3rd weekend of October. The climax of which is the mardi-gras parade where people in costumes and masks dance to Latin rhthyms like the Rio de Janiero style.
Like the other Visayan People, the people here talk with a tone… in a sweet tone resembling the Iloilo folks speaking the dialect- Hiligaynon (different from what the Cebuanos’ dialect). I had a chance to talk to a local from Bacolod (he happened to be the taxi driver I rode from the airport), being curious I asked if they have the same language with the Iloilo people but the man said that they only have a few similarities but way too different. He also said that they use deeper Hiligaynon words than the people from Iloilo.
I really find these people very admiring on how the way they speak… it’s really sweet even if they get angry, the tone’s still the same. It’s really very odd.
Thank God I had the chance to get out in the busy city of Manila and stayed in Bacolod for a while even it’s a call of work. I enjoyed our stay here because of the city’s serenity, food and the friendly people around. This is my first time to get a glimpse of Bacolod and it didn't fail me:)
The only problem I kept on encountering when I’m in Visayas Region is communication. Like in Cebu and Iloilo, a few locals in Bacolod speak Tagalog; they speak primarily using their own dialect- Hiligaynon and speak better in English. So when I need to communicate with other locals here, English is the easier way to get things done.
There are a lot of foreigners seen here, mostly Americans and Koreans. I believe they also find the city one of the great places to stay in the Philippines.
- Pros:friendly people
- Cons:few speak Tagalog
- In a nutshell:Bacolod: more than "The City of Smiles"
We had our first lunch in Aboy's. I can definitely say that this restaurant gave me an awesome impression on my first... more travel advice
Pendy's restaurant is the most elegant resto I've ever seen in a province like in Bacolod. When we entered the place, it... more travel advice
theguardianangel's Related Pages
Bacolod Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ON......CHASING.......MASSKARA FESTIVAL 2011"
- "A very wonderful place."
- "Where My Heart Will Always Be..."
- "Bacolod, the place am FORCE to live IN!"
- "The land that sugar built"
- "BACOLOD | Will Definitely Go Back"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bacolod
- Hotels in Bacolod
- Transportation in Bacolod
- Nightlife in Bacolod
- Restaurants in Bacolod
- Shopping in Bacolod
- Warnings and Dangers in Bacolod
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bacolod
- 11 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Bacolod?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bacolod
Photos in BacolodSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Siem Reap Intro, 23 reviews, 114 photos, 2 travelogues
- Philippines Intro, 31 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination City of Manila Intro, 26 reviews, 78 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 16 reviews, 83 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jakarta Intro, 17 reviews, 78 photos, 1 travelogue
- Marinduque Intro, 17 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caramoan Intro, 16 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Seoul Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Iloilo Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 16 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue