"Marinduque: Home of the Moriones" Marinduque by theguardianangel
Marinduque Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 87 photos
It’s been 13 years since my last visit in my dad’s hometown- Marinduque and honestly, it was only this time that I was able to appreciate the beauty of this island! Our family used to get back here and celebrate the Lenten Season but due to our own priorities, we had this very rare opportunity to get together and atleast visit our grandparents' (dad's side) tomb... and this is it!
Marinduque is located in the lower part of Luzon. It’s a heart shaped island that’s why it holds the title as the “Heart of the Philippines”. This island consists of 6 municipalities- Boac (capital), Buenavista, Gasan, Mogpong, Santa Cruz and Torrijos. My dad’s from the town of Torrijos which is the farthest municipality when you’ll be coming from Metro Manila.
Due to the thousands of islands in the Philippines, I really find each of these islands amazing- having each of its own culture and traditions. People of Marinduque speak very deep Tagalog and they have their own intonation too like all the provinces in the country- Cebu, Iloilo, etc.
Marinduque is popular of its annual Moriones Festival being celebrated during the Lenten Season. Moriones Festival is locally called “Moryonan” where people wear masks and costumes roam the streets and re-enacts the story of Saint Longinus (a blind Roman soldier whose eyesight was restored when Jesus’s blood dropped on his wounded eye then became a believer. It’s a 7 days festival of colorful Roman costumes and painted masks (I strongly believe they have only 1 facial expression-angry!).
Moriones came from the word Morion which pertains to the medieval Roman armor covering the face. The people who march with these colorful costumes and masks during the Holy Week are their penitent. It’s their expression to repent during this season. Each Municipality has its own tradition of celebrating the Moriones Festival but bigger celebrations occur in the towns of Boac, Santa Cruz and Gasan. Also, a contest is being held in 1 of the towns in search of the Best Morion Costume and everybody is welcome to join. Usually, men are more seen to participate in the Moriones Festival.
Marinduque has a lot more to offer! The white beach, bright blue skies, hospitable people, lush nature and peaceful environment.. what more can you ask for? Just a reminder, Marinduque is one of the provinces in the Philippines. So expect people to get inside their houses once the clock strikes at 6-7pm, get to bed at 9pm and wake up early in the morning 5-6am. A sacrifice for nocturnal people eh? I believe this place is best for the people who want to get out of the very busy city and reflect for a while.
I tell you a long trip from Metro Manila is really worth it!
You can choose 2 options in getting here:
a total of 10 hours by land and water trip or total of 4-5 hours travel by air and land.
- Pros:nature at its best!
- Cons:long travel time
- In a nutshell:Marinduque: still yet to discover
Due to the Spaniards colonization in the country in the early 15th century, they greatly influenced the Filipinos... more travel advice
We use to call coconut as "Buko" and its juice is very refreshing as well as its meat which is more popularly used as... more travel advice
theguardianangel's Related Pages
Marinduque Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marinduque: Home of the Moriones"
- "Marinduque - Island Life at a Standstill"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marinduque
- Hotels in Marinduque
- Transportation in Marinduque
- Shopping in Marinduque
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marinduque
- 17 Reviews
- 69 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Marinduque?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marinduque
- Posted in Travel Province of Marinduque Forum "Re: How do I get to Marinduque..."
- Commented on one of theguardianangel's Marinduque travel pages
- Wrote a Review Have a visit to St. Ignatius of Loyola Parish in Marinduque Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Have a visit to St. Ignatius of Loyola Parish"
- created a Marinduque Travelogue "A close encounter with the Morions"
Photos in MarinduqueSee All Photos (69)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siem Reap Intro, 23 reviews, 114 photos, 2 travelogues
- Philippines Intro, 31 reviews, 99 photos
- City of Manila Intro, 26 reviews, 78 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 16 reviews, 83 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jakarta Intro, 17 reviews, 78 photos, 1 travelogue
- Marinduque Intro, 17 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caramoan Intro, 16 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Seoul Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Iloilo Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 16 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue