"Modica" Modica by Leonardo83
Modica Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 51 photos
"The Val di Noto is the territory of eastern Sicily, which geographically corresponds to the tip of the island. Eight of the cities in the Val di Noto in 2002 entered the list of UNESCO World Heritage Site thanks to the Sicilian Baroque. The cities are:
Caltagirone, Militello, Catania, Modica, Noto, Palazzolo Acreide, Ragusa and Scicli.
The eight towns were all rebuilt after 1693, on or near the ruins of those destroyed by the earthquake in the same year.
They provide remarkable testimony to the exuberant brilliance expressed in art and architecture of the late Baroque
They are the result of a significant collective effort, successfully conducted and the results are of high architectural and artistic level. They also illustrate distinctive innovations in planning and urban design."
The town of the 10 churches, Modica was destroyed by an earthquake in 1693 and completely rebuilt in Baroque style. It’s located south of the Iblei Mountains and is divided into two areas: Modica Alta (the higher part) whose buildings are almost climbing the rocks of the mountains, and Modica Bassa (the lower part), in the valley, and where is now the Corso Umberto, the main road and historic site of the city. The two areas are connected by the Ponte Guerrieri, one of the highest bridges in Europe (130 mt tall). Modica is also famous for its chocolate, prepared with an ancient traditional technique.
Things to do and see in Modica:
• Remain speechless in front of the magnificent architecture of its Palaces and Churches.
• Wander through the little alleyways with antique shops
• Eat the local produce chocolate exported all over the world (I recommend the hot chilly chocolate).
Places to visit around Modica:
• Visit the seaside villages of Marina di Modica and Pozzallo with their beautiful long sandy beaches (15 Km from the town).
Leonardo83's Related Pages
Modica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Modica, the pearl of the late-baroque architecture"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Modica
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Modica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Modica
Photos in ModicaSee All Photos (2)
Top 5 Pages
- Taormina Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
- Cefalú Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
- Agrigento Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
- Modica Intro, 2 photos
- Sicilia Intro, 1 photo
No friends yet.