"Herndon's Charms" Herndon by Africancrab

Herndon Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 152 photos

Journey from Tucson, Arizona to Herndon, Virginia

Our flight was scheduled to leave Tucson International Airport at 3:25 pm mountain time, which it did. Our connecting flight was at Dallas Fortworth Airport in Texas at 8:25 pm, however, we never made it to Dallas as scheduled due to mother nature's interference. A heavy storm had crippled activities at Dallas Airport, so we landed at Abilene Regional Airport for fuel seeing as the plane could not keep circling in preparation for landing. Two hours on the ground in Arbilene, during which time American Airlines provided us with food, well more like a snack; a slice of Pizza each. Drinks were on the house, but then again, it was not enough to go three times round, so we ended up with two choices while in Arbilene; coke or mountain dew. All passengers were patient, no one seemed irate or frustrated with the delay; well one could not afford to be since it was not the airlines fault. Dallas Airport kept communication with the pilot, who in turn kept us informed of what was going on, as well as what to expect. The pilot was commendable, so are the air hostesses that served on this particular portion of our flight. To be applauded most of all is my 4 month old son Alexander who was a trooper through it all; all my fears were laid to rest when he played and laughed with passengers and fell asleep just in time for take off. The same thing happened each time we took off and landed, he did this for 3 take-off and 3 landings, something that surprised everyone around us.

My daughter Desire was behaving like a teenager even though she is not one yet; she listened to her music and read her book, looking up only when service was offered for drinks. Our flight would have been rather uneventful had it not been for the storm in Texas. My biggest concern on the journey was the fact that we had been put on the back seats of the plane, right next to the lavatories. During the 2 hour wait in Arbilene, almost all passengers went to relieve themeselves, creating a human traffic around us that kept Alexander rather jumpy. That aside, the smell of the lavatories after a while became too much; if you have ever flown long distance and sat at the back of the plane, you know what I'm talking about. I literally changed Alexander where I was seated because I was afraid to go into the lavatories afte about 20 people had used it. Besides, it was one of those smaller planes with one lavatory for economy class, and nother for business and first class. The walk way was crowded as people lined up to go to the bathroom, while others sought passage back to their seats. I was so relieved when the pilot finally came on the PA and announced that we had been cleared for take off. Travel time would be 45 minutes to Dallas Fortworth Airport.

Abilene, TX to Dallas, and finally Reagan Airport

We hardly spent 30 minutes in Dallas after our delay coming in. We got off the plane, went through to the American Airlines reservation counter where we found out we had been booked on a flight leavin gin 15 minutes to Washington National Airport. My immediate thought was 'but my bags are arriving in Washington Dulles'. The answer to that was, 'your bags will be shipped tomorrow to Dulles as was originally checked, please call in for arrival time'. Well, as it was, I was tired from carrying a 17 pound baby for 2 tours and now I was being asked to run up the escalators, down a long corridor to gate C7 where my flight was to take off from. Our boarding passes were printed, seats assigned and off we went to the gate. Once on the plane, we got comfortable waiting for take off, it was at this time we found out the pilot was not even on the plane, he would be about 30minutes late. Now ifyou understand frustration like I do, I just wanted to scream! But I had waited 2 hours in Arbilene, so the patience I luck, was summoned tenderly and I, calmed myself down and began crocheting a beanie. I was halfway through my beanie, when the pilote came over the PA to announce our departure.

For two hours no one got off the plane, but we were served pizza for lunch as we waited. It was the most unexpected thing because we were 30 minutes to landing when the pilot all of a sudden announced that we did not have enough fuel to continue circling the Dallas air space waiting to land. Mother nature had taken over and no planes were landing or taking off.

My daughter got hungry and the one slice of pizza we were offered did little to satisfy her hunger. I decided to order her a snack (cookies) which cost $3.25 a piece. They were delicious even though I thought that was a little much for a 75 cent worth of a cookie. But then again, we are in a capitalist world where the laws can be twisted to favor anyone, any company or anything as long as it is writtendown.

Living at the AVE Residences for 6 weeks in Summer

Even though my husband will be working for the Washington, DC office, his official given residence will be in Herndon. Herndon is a charming and historical, pre-Civil War town located in Northern Virginia. It is less than 30 minutes drive to downtown Washington without traffic. It boarders the town of Reston to the west. While its history is big, the twon itself is small, we spent an evening going through the town to acquaint ourselves with what we will call home for the next 7 weeks. I like small towns because they are easy to tour and understand, but the down side to them is that once you are done, there is nothing left to do except try to know the people and gossip or have decent conversations (smile!).

In the Town Center, there is a Depot Museum which has on display the railroad memorabilia and artifacts related to Commander William Lewis Herndon. The Museum is actually inside an 1850s train station. There is a community center where most of the town's planned activities for the community take place. As we walked through, we made a stop at the Icecream shop across from the train station for some delicious Icecream. We also stoped by the bakery next to the Nackman Building which is a little over a century old.

We however are not living in the Historic part of down, we are a few miles away in a modern, chic residence called the AVE Residences (check out my review on it). Next door to us are other residences like Camden and the Strayer University administrative building. A shopping center is about three quarter miles from us, from there we can purchase all the groceries and needed ammenities to make our residence a home away from home; thats exactly what I have done. The children and hubby seem to like it a lot. The swimming pool is a life saver in this humid environment. Coming from Arizona, I can now see how spoiled we are with the dry heat, humidity is a new challenge for me.

• Pros:Beautiful, Old, New and charming
  • In a nutshell:Great destination for Historic Travelers
  • Last visit to Herndon: Jun 2012
  • Intro Updated Aug 15, 2012

Comments

Africancrab

“Don't leave for tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Herndon

Have you been to Herndon?

Latest Activity in Herndon