"Military Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Sierra Vista by Africancrab

Sierra Vista Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 253 photos

My New Home

I relocated to Sierra Vista from Tucson a year ago. You may have noticed I have been writing plenty about Tucson, that is because Tucson was home for 6 years. Well now in Sierra Vista; a rather small town when compared to Tucson. I think it has taken me a year to actually start liking it a bit. I will tell you why I did not like it; we moved when I was 12 weeks pregnant and my pregnancy was not easy. I spent the rest of my pregnancy indoors, getting out only for Doctor's appointments, a few lunches and dinners at my husbands insistence and church on Sundays. Well I did not go every Sunday either; only when I was having a good day.

Suffice to say, my baby came at the beginning of February relieving me of the discomforts, but filling my time with his needs. After two months of nursing myself to health, I felt good enough to go out. With my sister visiting from Uganda, I had reason to go out and shop, dine and shop some more!

Shopping; I love shopping with my daughter

well, I know few women who do not like shopping, I'm not one of them (smile). Well moving to Sierra Vista, one of my concerns was luck of choice when it comes to shopping. I was glad to find that the former Walmart was upgraded to a Super-Walmart. Of course there is a mall, but nothing compared to what is in Tucson. Nonetheless, it satisfies mt shopping needs. There are other independent stores like Ross, Dollar Tree (smile), Payless, Sallys, and a few others

Introducing Sierra Vista!

With a population of less that 50,000 people, you could say Sierra Vista is a small town. Located in the south western part of Arizona, it borders Bisbee, Tombstone, Sonoita and Benson. The name of the city is derived from the Spanish word that directly translates to Mountain View. It is an hour 5 minutes from Tucson, 35 minutes from Tombstone. It is really a picturesque town surrounded by mountains; the Huachuca Mountains, Dragoon Mountains, Whetstone Mountains, Mule Mountains and the Mustang Mountains. The beauty of the mountains is clear in the early mornings when the sun is rising or at sunset.

The San Pedro rivers crosses through, and at this point is the home of thousands of hummingbirds. It is the sheer number of hummingbirds here that makes Sierra Vista known as the Hummingbird Capitol.

The weather is no different from most of Arizona; semi arid with little or no humidity most of the year. Summers are incredibly hot, we are experiencing one right now with temperatures reaching the three digits. In winter however, it is refreshing to see snow on the mountain tops, it is uncommon to see snow on the streets as it really never snows here. Last year we had snow over the Huachuca mountains mainly.

It is home to a military base, and almost half of its current residents are military or members of a military family.

• Pros:Outstanding Mountain Views and Calm Living
  • Cons:Not too much to do after a while
  • In a nutshell:Great Southwestern Town
  • Last visit to Sierra Vista: Aug 2011
  • Intro Updated Aug 13, 2012

Comments

Africancrab

“Don't leave for tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Sierra Vista

Have you been to Sierra Vista?

Latest Activity in Sierra Vista