"Introducing Douglas" Douglas by Africancrab
Douglas Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 99 photos
I have lived in Arizona for the past 10 years and this is the first time I'm actually visiting Douglas for a decent amount of time ( a day). It was an impromptu visiting seeing as we had wanted to only have lunch in Bisbee. But my husband convinced me that I should like it very much if I made the trip down to Douglas.
The one thing I knew about the area, was that it has the famous and controversial border fence built to keep out illegal immigrants from Mexico. while Douglas is only 50 minutes from where I currently live, I have not thought of making the drive there. I'm glad I decided to go. It was a pleasant 68 degree weather day during what should technically be winter. But then again this is Arizona, we do not experience winter like the rest of the country does.
This small town is located in the county of Cochise in Arizona. It is the point of the border crossing between the United States and Mexico and has a long history of mining even though no mining is currently done. With less than 18,000 people you can say it is a small town. Getting to Douglas is easy. If you are in Arizona, no matter where, all you have to do is get on the Interstate 10 and head East, the directions are clear and easy to follow.
There is really very little to do in the town, the most famous attraction currently is the hotel Gadsden and perhaps the border fence. I did not see much in terms of attractions, but it has some old and historic buildings, some uninhabitable
- Pros:Historic, with great Mexican Food
- Cons:Not much to see
Well this is not exactly something one can do without clearance. I must say I was able to do it only because my husband... more travel advice
Africancrab's Related Pages
Douglas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historic Douglas"
- "Living in Douglas"
- "Introducing Douglas"
- "Douglas, AZ....A Mexican border town"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Douglas
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Douglas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Douglas
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 35 reviews, 142 photos
- Tucson Intro, 38 reviews, 122 photos
- Arizona Intro, 22 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sierra Vista Intro, 26 reviews, 85 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Kampala Intro, 22 reviews, 48 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 14 reviews, 53 photos
- Patagonia Intro, 17 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bisbee Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 9 reviews, 42 photos