"Arizona Highlights!" Arizona by Africancrab

Arizona Travel Guide: 10,552 reviews and 28,750 photos

My New Home.

Arizona is my new home base. I relocated to Arizona indefinitely in early 2004. I had to learn more about the State that was to become my new home. My plan was to start with the basics; the history of the State. What was particularly exciting was the fact that I would be living in the home state of one of the world's natural wonders: The Grand Canyon, that is why it is called the Grand Canyon State. With a land mass of over 114, 000 square miles, Arizona is the fifth largest of the 50 States of the Union. But the Federal government controls almost 70% of the land including all Indian Reservations which cover a quarter of the entire State. The climate of Arizona varies greatly because the seasons depend on both the time of year and the altitude of a particular area. In the southwest for example, day time temperatures can go as high as 120 degrees Fahrenheit, but the nights are generally comfortable because of low humidity. In the high desert areas, especially those at 5000 - 8000 feet above sea level (mostly in the north-central areas), temperatures go as high as 95 degrees in the day and very cold in the night.

It is Grand Canyon State

Arizona is popularly referred to as the desert: indeed for its desert climate, exceptionally hot summers, and mild winters, but the high country in the north features pine forests and mountain ranges with cooler weather than the lower deserts. Did you know that the State of Arizona is also referred to as the Grand Canyon State? It is home to University of Arizona a world re-known University. Located in Southwestern United States, Arizona is the 48th state and the last to be admitted to the union in 1912.One thing I love about Arizona is the warm desert climate, I do not dance in the cold, so I embrace the warmth of the Arizona heat. O' I learned to wear Jeans and T-shirts to work and no one asked why, smile! feels righteous!

The Town in the Middle of Nowhere; Sonoita

Who said the desert is without its charms? I always remind people to see instead of looking. Well having lived in this small yet beautiful countryside town for a little over four years, I can tell you that Sonoita is indeed a beautiful town to visit. Sonoita is a very small town in Arizona, located at the crossroads of US Highways 82 and 83, it is so small that if you as much as blink while driving to the town you will go right passed it, and I mean it literally. But it is a beautiful countryside elevated at close to 5000 feet and surrounded by undulating grassy hills. The grasslands are popularly referred to as Cienegas. The highway to Sonoita is quite scenic and welcoming, each time I drive up the mountains I feel like it is my fast time - Yet I lived there for close to 4 years before moving to Tucson. The boarder patrols are a popular sight as they continually patrol the Sonoita/ Patagonia and Nogales areas for illegal immigrants from Mexico. For people who are not used it seeing them, they are no different than the local police (You would notice the difference however since their cars are normally huge double cabined vehicles and the Patrol side is in green color.

Caution: Please drive carefully on highway 83, the road is winding and rises up from 1000 to almost 5000 feet quickly, very sharp turns. Many have lost their lives on this road. I feel sad when I see the road side graves marked by a cross; sometimes loved ones will put flowers by the graves. The Santa Rita mountains are a treat to the eyes. To emphasize how small Sonoita is, you must look at the statistics this way: It is served by two Petrol stations (Shell, which is synonymous with the Sonoita Mercantile, which for years has been run by the Wystrach family), and most recent the Sonoita Fuel stop run by Brad. There is only one Bank (National Bank - formerly The Stockmen's Bank), a USP post office, one law firm, no clinic or hospital, one has to go to Patagonia (12 miles away)

• Last visit to Arizona: Feb 2004
  • Intro Updated Aug 10, 2012

Africancrab Used To Live Here!

Africancrab

“Don't leave for tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Arizona

Have you been to Arizona?

Latest Activity in Arizona