"Guantanamo - just passing through" Guantánamo by Zap-b

Guantánamo Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 33 photos

As I said in the introduction to Cuba I used the Lonely Planet guidebook to Cuba. Its very politically correct and in its escriptions it never ever writes off anywhere. I didn't spend that much time in Guantanamo - just was passing trhough twice between Santiago de Cuba and Baracoa but I don't think I'd recommend it in terms of things to see. There ain't any really. I spent more time than planned as there ain't any road signs too and got quite lost both times trying to cross the city. The first time we picked up a hitchhiker to show us the way out of the place!

Its very very Cuban - not at all touristy but I'd say there are better places to see. We passed by the military road leading the the America base of Guantanamo just outside the city. you'll see a lot of military activity and apparently you can go to some place overlooking the base. The details are in the guidebook but I didn't think it was worth it. I got enough of an idea when seeing all the anti-tank defenses and the 'DANGER - Mines' signs about.

So that's all I can say about Guantanamo - hope I don't get complaints from locals now!

• Last visit to Guantánamo: Nov 2001
  • Intro Written Dec 8, 2001

Comments

Zap-b

“To alcohol! The cause of & solution to all of life`s problems”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Guantánamo

Have you been to Guantánamo?

Latest Activity in Guantánamo