"Brașov,beautiful,charming,hard to forget.." Brasov by liliana91
Brasov Travel Guide: 664 reviews and 1,825 photos
Honestly,Brașov was amazing for me..I spent there only 2 days,with my boyfriend and another couple,our best friends.Probably,the good company make me feel very good,it is so nice to travel with friends,because no matter where I am,friends make everything feels better,but Brașov is such a beautiful town,that it doesn't count with who you are,it makes you forget what you saw before,makes you wanna see more of Brașov,every old house,every corner from this town..
For the record.. on first day has rained a lot,the second day had started to snow,and then again rain..so the weather was horrible,but we still did a mountain path and we walked a lot on the streets of Brașov..and we had and really good weekend.
So,here are some things about Brașov:
-Brașov is located in the central part of the country, about 166 km north of Bucharest. It is surrounded by the Southern Carpathians and is part of the Transylvania region.
-The city was first attested in 1235 AD under the name Corona, a Latin word meaning "crown", a name given by the German colonists. The current Romanian and Hungarian names are derived from the Turkic word barasu, meaning "white water" with a Slavic suffix -ov.
-The first attested mention of Brașov is Terra Saxonum de Barasu ("Saxon Land of Baras") in a 1252 document. The German name Kronstadt means "Crown City" and is reflected in the city's coat of arms as well as in its Medieval Latin name, Corona. The two names of the city ', Kronstadt and Corona, were used simultaneously in the Middle Ages.
-German colonists known as the Transylvanian Saxons played a decisive role in Brașov's development. These Germans were invited by King Géza II of Hungary to develop towns, build mines, and cultivate the land of Transylvania at different stages between 1141 and 1162. The settlers came primarily from the Rhineland, Flanders, and the Moselle region, with others from Thuringia, Bavaria, Wallonia, and even France.(in our days a lot of people speak German in Brașov,i heard German as often as i hear Romanian)
=> Biserica Neagră ("The Black Church"), a celebrated Gothic site - the building dates from 1477, when it replaced an older church (demolished around 1385). Its acquired the name after being blackened by smoke from the 1689 great fire.
=> Casa Sfatului ("The mayor's former office building"). The administration for Brașov was here for more than 500 years.
=> Biserica Sf. Nicolae (St. Nicholas Church), dating back to the 14th century.
The First Romanian School, a museum with the first Romanian printing press among many other firsts.
=> The Rope Street, the narrowest street in Romania.
=> Şchei, the historically Bulgarian but then Romanian neighborhood outside of the old walled city.
=>Catherine's Gate, the only original city gate to have survived from medieval times.
=>Şchei Gate, next to Catherine's Gate, built in 1827.
=> Tâmpa, a small mountain in the middle of the city (900m above sea level), a sightseeing spot near the old city center.
=> The "Brașov Citadel Fortress" - Cetăţuia Brașovului
I have seen these,and if you want you can take a look at reviews or travelogues.
- Pros:mountains,beautiful buildings,good food,very kind local people-what could you ask more?
- Cons:no cons,I liked so much this town that I will come back here to stay more some day,somewhere in future.
- In a nutshell:mountains,beautiful buildings,good food,very kind local people
It's the first Romanian virtual museum. Has many levels, and on the highest level, you can notice the landscape around... more travel advice
Cetatea Brașovului-The Brașov Citadel Fortress On a small Hill,you can find The Brașov Citadel... more travel advice
liliana91's Related Pages
Brasov Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Brasov - The heart of Transylvania"
- "Brasov / Kronstadt"
- "Buna ziua, Brasov!"
- "We can't stop here. This is bear country."
- "Braşov - Heart of Transylvania"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brasov
- Hotels in Brasov
- Transportation in Brasov
- Nightlife in Brasov
- Restaurants in Brasov
- Shopping in Brasov
- Warnings and Dangers in Brasov
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brasov
- 14 Reviews
- 144 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Brasov?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brasov
- updated a Brasov Travel Page "Brașov,beautiful,charming,hard to forget.."
- Commented on one of liliana91's Brasov travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "more from Brasov"
- Wrote a Review Tower/ Turnul "Bastionul Postăvarilor" in Brasov Things to Do
- Posted in Travel Bucharest Forum "Re: Electronic shop in Bucharest?"
Photos in BrasovSee All Photos (144)
Top 10 Pages
- Brasov Intro, 14 reviews, 144 photos, 12 travelogues
- Bucharest Intro, 8 reviews, 74 photos, 7 travelogues
- Costinesti Intro, 4 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Predeal Intro, 3 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rasnov Intro, 3 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Turnu Magurele Intro, 3 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valea Gradistei Intro, 1 review, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Alexandria Intro, 1 review, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Orsova Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Giurgiu Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue