"Alaska in a Truck Camper!" Alaska by DJStarr
Alaska Travel Guide: 6,741 reviews and 14,235 photos
Traveling to the GREAT northwest via British Columbia. What a great drive up I-5! Wineries, lakes, greenery all around! We're off for the summer in our Arctic Fox Truck Camper with our trusty Campin' Kitty, Penny.
This interesting historic park is located off highway 16, in the Hazeltons. There are several "Longhouses" (tour available) and totem poles decorated with northwest images. The museum is small, but interesting. The top floor has a gallery and had a great watercolor show from a talented area artist. The adjacent campground is great!
Under the trees, flat and within walking distance to both the park and town.
Hey, THIS is the vehicle to drive through Alaska. We've only seen a few Big Rigs (like busses) - and our Arctic Fox Truck Camper is the Cadillac of truck campers. We've seen several on the road, and some Lance truck campers, too.
Some of the roads are not great - like the Cassiar Highway! But they are tolerable in the truck camper. Our camper has a slide out, full kitchen (microwave, gas stove/oven, double sink, shower, etc. Full size queen mattress! Just enough room for two and a small pet. They can be rented, if you're considering buying one. We saw a lot of rentals at the Canada campgrounds, too. (mostly Germans!)
- Pros:The last great frontier
- Cons:Remote roads, no cell phone coverage often
- In a nutshell:An amazing place!
We found WiFi internet in nearly every place we went. Sometimes they'd charge you, but if you drove around a bit, you... more travel advice
Monday or Tuesday nights are Karaoke night at the Inn. In a small town of only 80 people, let's hope there is some... more travel advice
DJStarr's Related Pages
Alaska Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Land of the Midnight Sun"
- "Alaska--my home for now (again)"
- "Alaska, up north and far away"
- "Train Ride Through Alaska's Interior"
- "The Last Great Frontier"
- "Alaska, land of beauty"
- "Alaska, America's Crown Jewel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alaska
- Hotels in Alaska
- Transportation in Alaska
- Nightlife in Alaska
- Restaurants in Alaska
- Shopping in Alaska
- Warnings and Dangers in Alaska
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alaska
- 10 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Alaska?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alaska
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denver Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos
- French Polynesia Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sitka Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Italy Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Netherlands Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos
- Alaska Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Madrid Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Cayman Islands Intro, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Top Alaska hotels
- Anchorage Hotels
- 830 Reviews - 1525 Photos
- Fairbanks Hotels
- 315 Reviews - 496 Photos
- Barrow Hotels
- 93 Reviews - 142 Photos
- Denali National Park and Preserve Hotels
- 321 Reviews - 602 Photos
- Kodiak Hotels
- 256 Reviews - 446 Photos
- Juneau Hotels
- 362 Reviews - 881 Photos
- Ketchikan Hotels
- 222 Reviews - 537 Photos
- Dutch Harbor Hotels
- 80 Reviews - 118 Photos
- Haines Hotels
- 93 Reviews - 199 Photos
- Seward Hotels
- 200 Reviews - 480 Photos
- Skagway Hotels
- 170 Reviews - 499 Photos
- Tetlin Junction Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Sitka Hotels
- 174 Reviews - 278 Photos
- Girdwood Hotels
- 88 Reviews - 162 Photos
- Kodiak Island Hotels
- 96 Reviews - 134 Photos