"Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam" Ho Chi Minh City by elhombre30
Ho Chi Minh City Travel Guide: 3,131 reviews and 7,263 photos
I got some interesting facts about Ho Chi Minh City where I did a lot of research few weeks before my actual travel date. And here some basic thing I knew and readers must know as you go through my Vietnam page.
* lts old name is Saigon and the biggest city and capital of South Vietnam.
* Home of the largest airport in Vietnam, Tan Son Nhat (Tân Sơn Nhất) which is just 8km from the city center (less than 20 mins).
* Chinese New year or Tet season is almost 2 weeks Holiday for the entire country which falls on January 23 this year, 2012.
* There were about 2.5 Million running motorcycles throughout the city. That much!
* Language: English is spoken by most of the younger well-educated upper class. Educated senior citizens are usually able to speak French, though generally speaking, English is far more useful these days.
* There several famous attraction in HCMC like Cu Chi Tunnel, War Remnants Museum, Palace of Unification, Notre Dame Cathedral, Binh Quoi Tourist Village, Ho Chi Minh Museum, the oldest Xa Loi Pagoda, Sri Thendayyutthapani Temple, Water Puppet Theatre.
This is why I love reading Virtualtourist.com site because you will learn so many things about your desired destination. Of course you need to know the currency exchange rate, where to stay, what to do and where to go and you can all find it in this website.
According to some travel blogs, that the best time to travel HCMC is during the TET season (Chinese Lunar New year) and some says its the most boring time of the city. Two contrasting statement but sounds interesting! Furthermore, I did more research and finally decided to choose TET season as my date of travel. And after coming back home from 5days tour, I definitely chose the right date. It was awesome!
Known for its chaotic motorcycle rush, HCMC still impressed me a lot. I thought its polluted but its NOT, I thought you can see a lot of mess (garbage and dirt) around the city but its I HAVEN'T so far. I see trash can in every corner of the city. haven't seen any disgusting bulk of garbage unattended. In short, knowing it belongs to a third world country, Ho Cho Minh City still offers the best they can which makes them one of the top destinations tourist would like to travel too.
I just want to share you one drama I saw in my bare naked eyes. A young white lady (tourist) was traversing the road passing through pedestrian lane and suddenly a man in a motorbike quickly attempted to snatch the DSLR camera which the lady was carrying in her one hand. Luckily, the cameras' lace was wrap around her wrist so the snatcher failed. But then, this are just some instances which can be avoided.
- Pros:So much to see and do in HCMC
- Cons:A lot of scammers, but can be avoided
- In a nutshell:Generally, I like Saigon. I had so much fun
Pho 24 is one of the most famous and recommended restaurant that serves authentic local food. They have several branches... more travel advice
* Health and Fitness Center (On-site) Guests will enjoy access to a 20-meter outdoor lap pool with sundeck and a... more travel advice
elhombre30's Related Pages
Ho Chi Minh City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saigon Saigon !"
- "IMPREXXION: HO CHI MINH CITY"
- "Former Saigon"
- "Ho Chi Minh City 29/3/08 - 3/4/08"
- "Lost in Saigon!?"
- "Ho Chin Minh City, the new Saigon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ho Chi Minh City
- Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
- Transportation in Ho Chi Minh City
- Nightlife in Ho Chi Minh City
- Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
- Shopping in Ho Chi Minh City
- Warnings and Dangers in Ho Chi Minh City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ho Chi Minh City
- 4 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Ho Chi Minh City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ho Chi Minh City
Photos in Ho Chi Minh CitySee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coron Island Intro, 24 reviews, 118 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos
- Bohol Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos
- Boracay Island Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos
- Busan Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos
- Macao Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
- Manila Intro, 4 reviews, 16 photos
- Pundaquit Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos
- Sydney Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos