"Cologne, Germany" Cologne by carrie.kindred
Cologne Travel Guide: 1,609 reviews and 4,007 photos
Cologne is not only the fourth largest city in Germany, it's also one of the oldest. It was founded as "Colonia" in 50AD by the Romans. Ruins and remnants of Roman civilization can still be found around the city today. The city celebrates and shares its more recent history as well.
The most recognized symbol of Cologne is undoubtedly the massive Gothic cathedral, Kolner Dom. Construction on this beautiful landmark commenced in 1248. At 474 ft long, 284 ft wide and 515 ft tall, it is the largest Gothic church in northern Europe.
However, the cathedral and ruins are not the only gems this city has to offer. Cologne is filled to the brim with beautiful churches, museums, music, and gorgeous architecture. Museum Ludwig houses and impressive modern art collection, the Lindt Chocolate Museum is a treat for families with children, and the Kolner Zoo is not to be missed either, with one of the largest elephant parks in Europe.
- Pros:easy to navigate on foot, beautiful, and full of life
Also known as Kolner Dom, this massive cathedral is not to be missed. If you leave Cologne without visiting it you'll... more travel advice
For 8.50euro you can tour this fun museum filled with exhibits that explain every imaginable facet of chocolate making.... more travel advice
carrie.kindred's Related Pages
Cologne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Cologne"
- "Koelsh, ja wohl"
- "Köln am Rhein"
- "Roman History, Magnificent Cathedral, and Kölsch"
- "My big neighbour, Cologne (Köln)!"
- "Cologne under Construction"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cologne
- Hotels in Cologne
- Transportation in Cologne
- Nightlife in Cologne
- Restaurants in Cologne
- Shopping in Cologne
- Warnings and Dangers in Cologne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cologne
- 7 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Cologne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cologne
- Wrote a Review Admire the Magnificent Cologne Cathedral about Cologne Cathedral/ Kölner Dom in Cologne Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Admire the Magnificent Cologne Cathedral"
- Commented on one of carrie.kindred's Cologne travel pages
- created a Cologne Travel Page "Cologne, Germany"
- Posted in Travel Cologne Forum "Re: Parking in Cologne"
Photos in CologneSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mannheim Intro, 12 reviews, 36 photos
- Cologne Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos
- Paris Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos
- Richmond Intro, 9 reviews, 6 photos
- Gatlinburg Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos
- Landstuhl Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Nashville Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Wachenheim an der Weinstraße Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Creuzburg Intro, 1 review, 4 photos