"Cologne, Germany" Cologne by carrie.kindred

Cologne Travel Guide: 1,609 reviews and 4,008 photos

In a Nutshell

Cologne is not only the fourth largest city in Germany, it's also one of the oldest. It was founded as "Colonia" in 50AD by the Romans. Ruins and remnants of Roman civilization can still be found around the city today. The city celebrates and shares its more recent history as well.

The most recognized symbol of Cologne is undoubtedly the massive Gothic cathedral, Kolner Dom. Construction on this beautiful landmark commenced in 1248. At 474 ft long, 284 ft wide and 515 ft tall, it is the largest Gothic church in northern Europe.

However, the cathedral and ruins are not the only gems this city has to offer. Cologne is filled to the brim with beautiful churches, museums, music, and gorgeous architecture. Museum Ludwig houses and impressive modern art collection, the Lindt Chocolate Museum is a treat for families with children, and the Kolner Zoo is not to be missed either, with one of the largest elephant parks in Europe.

• Pros:easy to navigate on foot, beautiful, and full of life
  • Last visit to Cologne: Mar 2012
  • Intro Written Apr 6, 2012

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2012 at 5:30 AM

Hi Carrie, nice to see that you liked Cologne so much, I went to university there for four years :-) I just had a look at your blog and see you are moving to New York State - wow, another adventure ahead! But I think I can also understand your feelings about not wanting to leave Germany so soon... I hope to read more about your travels here :-)

• carrie.kindred's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2012 at 3:17 AM

@HunterV, I've been twice now. I love this city! I hope to go back at least one more time before leaving Europe in the fall.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Cologne is always a pleasure to visit...I'm glad I have managed to visit this great city more than once...

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2012 at 12:32 PM

That’s a striking photo of the bridge and cathedral at night – from your hotel?

carrie.kindred

“Sweetheart, I think we're lost. We shOMG IS THAT A CASTLE?! TURN RIGHT!”

Badges & Stats in Cologne

Have you been to Cologne?

Friends