"Home Base: Manneheim" Top 5 Page for this destination Mannheim by carrie.kindred

Mannheim Travel Guide: 204 reviews and 459 photos

In Brief:

I've lived in Mannheim for almost a year now. It's a beautiful city, filled with interesting people, food and sights, and within driving distance of more castles, cathedrals, and parks than I can count. The public transportation system is excellent, with both train and bus routes, and nearly the entire city is bicycle accessible.

Main Attraction:

The Wasserturm (Water Tower) in the middle of downtown is Mannheim's main attraction. Its beautiful sculptures and incredible fountain are surrouned by excellently maintained landscaping and tons of fun shops and restaurants. It's also conveniently accessible by Strassenbahn (train). There are two stops directly next to the Wasserturm, and it's only a few stops away from Mannheim's main train station.

Favorite Food:

I'm a fan of Italian food, so of course my pick for best restaurant in Mannheim is Vapiano. Located in the center of downtown, right beside Wasserturm, Vapiano is the best pizza and pasta available. No reservations neccessary, casual attire, reasonable prices (about 10euro per person).

• Pros:friendly people, patient with English speakers
  • Cons:large, and a little overwhelming to newcomers at first
  • Intro Updated Sep 5, 2011

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2011 at 2:53 AM

Great tips on Mannheim, especially the restaurants. Good to see that you are enjoying your time in Germany. Make the most of it. I absolutely love visiting whenever I can.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2011 at 3:23 PM

I'm glad you like living in Mannheim. I live just up the road in Frankfurt and will be going to Mannheim in a few days to see the premiere of Mozart's Magic Flute at the opera house. (I know one of the singers, my younger son's girlfriend in fact.)

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Hi Carrie, welcome to VT. You've been busy, singned up today and already you have pages. Super!

carrie.kindred Lives Here!

carrie.kindred

“Sweetheart, I think we're lost. We shOMG IS THAT A CASTLE?! TURN RIGHT!”

Badges & Stats in Mannheim

Have you been to Mannheim?

Latest Activity in Mannheim