"Baling - My Best Childhood Memories" Baling by AngMimi
Baling Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 95 photos
My best childhood memories were good in Baling where my great grandmother, grandmother, my uncles and aunties, lot of cousins and friends to meet and play. Nice neighbour like Siam Chek, Siam Ee (Siamese family) and their family.
Thats my Ah Chor Chor (in Chinese SamFoo and bare-footed), my mother will take us back to her hometown in Baling during school holidays. My father who works as a foreman in the police force in Kroh, Perak, I still wondered how my father and mother met. :-)) So, every school holiday, my father took us all in the police dark blue truck or landrover from Sungai Petani to Baling like a criminal. haha..
Thats the landmark of Baling. In hokkien we called it Baling Suah. Baling is a major town in Kedah and is quite near to the southern part of Thailand.
There is a story of Raja Bersiong (A King with Fang - a vampire) a legend of Kedah. A King who got evil taste for human blood in this food. One day, Raja Bersiong fled his palace at Old Kedah and came to a place near Baling, he twisted both fangs with his hand and threw them faraway. Throw in Malay call Baling, and thats how the Baling town got its name..
Baling was also a place where the Malayan Government, the British and the Communist met in 1955 to end the Malayan Emergency. Not a success meeting after all.
Tho the house is gone, but those sweet memories still linger :-))
- Pros:Simple and quiet nice town
- Cons:Nothing to say..
- In a nutshell:Great childhood memories are made here
Favourite thing about Baling? Hmm....Visit my cousin and uncle's house for sure on 2nd day of Chinese New Year. There... more travel advice
40 years ago, Baling used to be a cowboy town at night. Everybody sleep early, no electricity or water pipe at home.... more travel advice
Written Aug 25, 2011
Wat Prakthat (Thai Buddhist Temple in Baling)
Written Feb 14, 2012
AngMimi's Related Pages
Baling Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wat Prakthat (Thai Buddhist Temple in Baling)"
- "My Home Town....."
- "Baling ~ In the State of Kedah"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Baling
- 13 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Baling?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baling
Photos in BalingSee All Photos (67)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sungai Petani Intro, 37 reviews, 175 photos, 4 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 29 reviews, 171 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bukit Mertajam Intro, 23 reviews, 153 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siem Reap Intro, 34 reviews, 112 photos
- Temengor Intro, 26 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameron Highlands Intro, 20 reviews, 113 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Danau Toba Intro, 21 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pulau Aman Intro, 16 reviews, 95 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination George Town Intro, 21 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hat Yai Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos