"Baling - My Best Childhood Memories" Baling by AngMimi

Baling Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 95 photos

My Great Grandmother - Ah Chor Chor

My best childhood memories were good in Baling where my great grandmother, grandmother, my uncles and aunties, lot of cousins and friends to meet and play. Nice neighbour like Siam Chek, Siam Ee (Siamese family) and their family.

Thats my Ah Chor Chor (in Chinese SamFoo and bare-footed), my mother will take us back to her hometown in Baling during school holidays. My father who works as a foreman in the police force in Kroh, Perak, I still wondered how my father and mother met. :-)) So, every school holiday, my father took us all in the police dark blue truck or landrover from Sungai Petani to Baling like a criminal. haha..

Baling - Beautiful Hill, Legend and History

Beautiful Hill
Thats the landmark of Baling. In hokkien we called it Baling Suah. Baling is a major town in Kedah and is quite near to the southern part of Thailand.

The Legend
There is a story of Raja Bersiong (A King with Fang - a vampire) a legend of Kedah. A King who got evil taste for human blood in this food. One day, Raja Bersiong fled his palace at Old Kedah and came to a place near Baling, he twisted both fangs with his hand and threw them faraway. Throw in Malay call Baling, and thats how the Baling town got its name..

History
Baling was also a place where the Malayan Government, the British and the Communist met in 1955 to end the Malayan Emergency. Not a success meeting after all.

My Great grandmother's house in Baling.

Tho the house is gone, but those sweet memories still linger :-))

• Pros:Simple and quiet nice town
  • Cons:Nothing to say..
  • In a nutshell:Great childhood memories are made here
  • Last visit to Baling: Jan 2012
  • Intro Updated Mar 13, 2013

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Excellent! Very small town but your short and precise description of the town makes it worth visiting for relaxation! Very nice Mimi!

• AngMimi's Profile Photo
      Sep 25, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Thank you Goutam, my best childhood memories from a very small town. :-)))

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2012 at 9:56 AM

The hills and caves make Baling an interesting place. I also enjoyed the cultural comments and your memories. Well done, Mimi.

• sudo2008's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Hi Mimi, I too love to visit Buddhist temples, I am born hindu & studied all scriptures but love Buddhisim very much, I have done 10 days Vippasna meditation course.
    God bless you with all happiness and travels.
    Sudarshan