"Horas - Danau Toba" Top 5 Page for this destination Danau Toba by AngMimi
Danau Toba Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 479 photos
Horas is the traditional greetings of Batak people in Samosir Island. It can also used as Hello, Goodbye and Good Health.
Danau Toba ~ here we come...
After Breakfast of coffee and bread, we are all ready for a 3.5hours ride to Lake Toba, Im always sat in front beside the driver, so I got the first class view on the road. Everyone drive like crazy in Medan, and yet I didnt see any accident., amazing. I loved the views of the villages, villagers and children attending Sunday Mass, beautiful church, Christian tombs, monkeys, forest reserved and finally the Magnificient Danau Toba (Lake Toba)... Cantiknya...!!!! (So beautiful)..
I was here for only 1 hour, I wished I could stay for a 1 day to 2..But anyway, I enjoyed my trip here and mingled with the locals in the ferry. :-))
When you are here in Samosir Island, please see the traditional Batak Houses, I just loved how they built the house, so unique. I have Batak house fridge magnet and wind chime at home. The batak houses, all are wooden and square, with wooden structures in pillar and high roofs and..aaah..I dont know how to describe them.. and they have satellite dish tv too..
Do you know the Bataks eat human? hmmm...of cos, in the olden days, not now. Dont worry :-)) They eat dogs instead, aarrrggghhhh....
From Medan, you will arrived at Parapat, it is a town where you will take a ferry to Samosir Island. Well, there is a story for Parapat and Batu Gantung. Okay, let me tell some nonsense here...Here goes the story..
As usual, Once upon a time, near Danau Toba, there lived a family with one child, a beautiful girl when she grows up. She falls in love with a guy but her parents already arranged marriage for her since they dont know she had a guy, she loves so much. Oh, the parents does not agree with the guy she choose, and insist her to marry the other guy. Oh no, she was so sad that she cries every day near Danau Toba with her dog, she feel so hopeless as the wedding day already near.
She feels like commit suicide, she wanted to jump in the Danau Toba, as she walking near the edge, with confused mind as she doesnt want to die or leave her guy, suddenly she slipped and fell into a big hole, there she felt the stone were squeezing her, thinking its time for her to die, she said "Prapat..Prapat" which means moving closer, wah..amazingly, the stones come closer and squeezed her. Her dog keep on barking and keep looking at the hole.. and it somehow attracted the villager's attention. They came to help and heard the girls voice saying Parapat..parapat , while other call the parent to save the girl. But its just too late, the stone in the hole already squeezed her tight and she gone. Her parents were sad and since then the people there named the place as Parapat. So thats how Parapat got the name..
After time passed and years later earthquake happened, stones were falling down to the Danau Toba, and when the earthquake stopped, the villagers saw a big stone hanging to the cliff. They believed the stone was the girl who trapped inside the stones and since then the villagers named it "Batu Gantung"
You can see the Batu Gantung when the ferry take you to have a look the hanging stone and you will see those happy children in the boat and swimming in the lake. So beautiful..
Flag down an Angkut (mini van) and tell them "Loket Sejahtera" (Sejahtera bus station), It's fun to ride on this... more travel advice
From Polonia Airport, we took a taxi for IDR40,000 to Loket Bus Amplas (Amplas Bus Station) to catch the bus to Parapat.... more travel advice
AngMimi's Related Pages
Danau Toba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Danau Toba : a dive in Batak country"
- "Horas - Danau Toba"
- "Spend at least one week here!!!!"
- "Kick back and meet the Toba people!"
- "Danau Toba Page"
- "Beberapa capung capung (a few dragonflies)"
- "A calm, large, deep, friendly lake."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Danau Toba
- Hotels in Danau Toba
- Transportation in Danau Toba
- Nightlife in Danau Toba
- Restaurants in Danau Toba
- Shopping in Danau Toba
- Warnings and Dangers in Danau Toba
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Danau Toba
- 21 Reviews
- 104 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Danau Toba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Danau Toba
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sungai Petani Intro, 37 reviews, 175 photos, 4 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 29 reviews, 171 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bukit Mertajam Intro, 23 reviews, 153 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siem Reap Intro, 34 reviews, 112 photos
- Temengor Intro, 26 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameron Highlands Intro, 20 reviews, 113 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Danau Toba Intro, 21 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pulau Aman Intro, 16 reviews, 95 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination George Town Intro, 21 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hat Yai Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos