"Horas - Danau Toba" Top 5 Page for this destination Danau Toba by AngMimi

Danau Toba Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 479 photos

Danau Toba - I WILL SEE YOU AGAIN IN JUNE..

Horas is the traditional greetings of Batak people in Samosir Island. It can also used as Hello, Goodbye and Good Health.

Danau Toba ~ here we come...
After Breakfast of coffee and bread, we are all ready for a 3.5hours ride to Lake Toba, Im always sat in front beside the driver, so I got the first class view on the road. Everyone drive like crazy in Medan, and yet I didnt see any accident., amazing. I loved the views of the villages, villagers and children attending Sunday Mass, beautiful church, Christian tombs, monkeys, forest reserved and finally the Magnificient Danau Toba (Lake Toba)... Cantiknya...!!!! (So beautiful)..

I was here for only 1 hour, I wished I could stay for a 1 day to 2..But anyway, I enjoyed my trip here and mingled with the locals in the ferry. :-))

Traditional Batak House

When you are here in Samosir Island, please see the traditional Batak Houses, I just loved how they built the house, so unique. I have Batak house fridge magnet and wind chime at home. The batak houses, all are wooden and square, with wooden structures in pillar and high roofs and..aaah..I dont know how to describe them.. and they have satellite dish tv too..

Do you know the Bataks eat human? hmmm...of cos, in the olden days, not now. Dont worry :-)) They eat dogs instead, aarrrggghhhh....

Indonesian Folklore - Parapat

From Medan, you will arrived at Parapat, it is a town where you will take a ferry to Samosir Island. Well, there is a story for Parapat and Batu Gantung. Okay, let me tell some nonsense here...Here goes the story..

As usual, Once upon a time, near Danau Toba, there lived a family with one child, a beautiful girl when she grows up. She falls in love with a guy but her parents already arranged marriage for her since they dont know she had a guy, she loves so much. Oh, the parents does not agree with the guy she choose, and insist her to marry the other guy. Oh no, she was so sad that she cries every day near Danau Toba with her dog, she feel so hopeless as the wedding day already near.

She feels like commit suicide, she wanted to jump in the Danau Toba, as she walking near the edge, with confused mind as she doesnt want to die or leave her guy, suddenly she slipped and fell into a big hole, there she felt the stone were squeezing her, thinking its time for her to die, she said "Prapat..Prapat" which means moving closer, wah..amazingly, the stones come closer and squeezed her. Her dog keep on barking and keep looking at the hole.. and it somehow attracted the villager's attention. They came to help and heard the girls voice saying Parapat..parapat , while other call the parent to save the girl. But its just too late, the stone in the hole already squeezed her tight and she gone. Her parents were sad and since then the people there named the place as Parapat. So thats how Parapat got the name..

After time passed and years later earthquake happened, stones were falling down to the Danau Toba, and when the earthquake stopped, the villagers saw a big stone hanging to the cliff. They believed the stone was the girl who trapped inside the stones and since then the villagers named it "Batu Gantung"

You can see the Batu Gantung when the ferry take you to have a look the hanging stone and you will see those happy children in the boat and swimming in the lake. So beautiful..

• Last visit to Danau Toba: Apr 2011
  • Intro Updated Apr 26, 2013

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Nice reading! The pictures are very good. Is this place in Indonesia? Do you have to take Visa for visiting this place?

• AngMimi's Profile Photo
      May 8, 2013 at 6:05 AM

I just realized I gave a stupid answer on Visa..Haha. I dont need a travel visa to Indonesia, you can apply visa on arrival at the airport for USD25.

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
      May 8, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Ya we know. You have the privilege of being ASEAN country , you perhaps don't require any VISA.

• Sep 16, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Lake Toba difficult to describe the beauty of nature. Peace and nice. Will be come again. WHEN ....

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Danau Toba looks like a very interesting and beautiful place, Mimi. Terima kasih for sharing. I really enjoyed the legends that you included. Strangely the VT picture enlarger quit working just as I finished. Maybe the Danau Toba magic only lets you look at the pictures once.

• zschachwitz's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2012 at 6:42 AM

Horas, Mimi; Nice story, nice looking place.

AngMimi

“One Two Tree.....Smile!!!”

Badges & Stats in Danau Toba

Have you been to Danau Toba?

Latest Activity in Danau Toba