Torino Off The Beaten Path Tips by lichinga
Torino Off The Beaten Path: 49 reviews and 74 photos
<p>Turin has beautiful '<i>caffé</i>' (cafeteria), where you can sit sipping hot chocolate (even without cream), tea or coffee. The picture shows <i>Caffé Torino</i>, in piazza San carlo,one of the most well known and traditional. Torino itself is the city of chocolate and also a main producing area of hazelnuts, so that it is very common to find the result of this combination: '<i>gianduia</i>', a chocolate with a high percentage of hazelnuts cream. Lots of chocolate shops may be found: Caffarel, Pfatish, Peyrano, Streglio .... with high-quality products.</p>
<p>Coming back to <b> historical 'caffé'</b>, many of them may be found in the 'new' historical centre, that part of the city which has been built in the XVIII century, between Palazzo Reale (Piazza Castello) and the central station (Porta Nuova), in these places you may experience the kind of life of 200 years ago, wooded walls, heavy curtains, golden decorations, carpets, brasseries....... Try, <i>Baratti & Milano</i>, in Piazza Castello, <i>Bar Torino</i> and <i>Bar San Carlo</i> in Piazza San Carlo, <i>Platti</i> at the corner of Corso Umberto and Corso Vittorio Emmanuele.</p>
The market place in Piazza Repubblica, also known as Porta Palazzo, is the best multi-cultural market I know about in Northern Italy. Only in the morning, or up to 4 pm on Saturdays.
The picture shows Walter, my favourite plant supplier: he's very dedicate, but he has not a permanent stall in Porta Palazzo market place, just in piazza Nizza.
More Reviews (11)
lichinga's Related Pages
Torino Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Torino aka Turin"
- "Torino - After the Olympics"
- "Torino, 2006 Winter Olimpics"
- "Turin - The Italian Job"
- "THE FIRST ITALIAN CAPITAL"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Torino
- Hotels in Torino
- Transportation in Torino
- Nightlife in Torino
- Restaurants in Torino
- Shopping in Torino
- Warnings and Dangers in Torino
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Torino
- 13 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 119 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Torino?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Torino
Top 10 Pages
- Palermo Intro, 16 reviews, 15 photos
- Curitiba Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mestna Obcina Ptuj Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos
- Torino Intro, 13 reviews, 12 photos
- Potsdam Intro, 6 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Piura Intro, 12 reviews, 11 photos
- Departamento de Piura Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cefalú Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Quito Intro, 12 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salerno Intro, 11 reviews, 8 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (55)
- Museums (Egyptian, Cinema...)- 53 Reviews, 90 Photos
- Royal residences- 28 Reviews, 53 Photos
- Mole Antonelliana- 24 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Architecture (Neo Classic and Baroque)- 38 Reviews, 82 Photos
- Sacra Sindone (Holy Shroud)- 13 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Superga- 13 Reviews, 32 Photos
- Porta Palazzo and Balon: street markets- 5 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Valentino's and other Parks- 14 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Monte dei Cappuccini- 7 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Olympics- 10 Reviews, 15 Photos
See All Torino Things to Do