"The city of the Pope... just for a while!" Avignon by lichinga
Avignon Travel Guide: 503 reviews and 1,469 photos
Yes, the Popes moved to Avignon for some time. That was centuries ago, while confusion in the Roman Catholic church was much greater than nowadays. I think I can remember there has been a period with three self-proclaimed Popes at the same time!
Now, Avignon has nothing to do with the top of the hierarchy, but the signs are still there.
The tunnel under the Frejus mount is one of the oldest in Europe; it links France to Italy, namely the region og Lyon... more travel advice
Summer is for living in the streets. Even in Avignon thare are plenty of restaurants offering external tables along the... more travel advice
lichinga's Related Pages
Avignon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Dilettante & Demoiselles of Avignon"
- "Enchanting Avignon!"
- "Avignon - Cité des papes et du théâtre"
- "Several Popes and More"
- "The Papacy of Avignon"
- "Beautiful Architecture, Romans, Popes, Arts..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Avignon
- Hotels in Avignon
- Transportation in Avignon
- Nightlife in Avignon
- Restaurants in Avignon
- Shopping in Avignon
- Warnings and Dangers in Avignon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Avignon
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Avignon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Avignon
Photos in AvignonSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Palermo Intro, 16 reviews, 15 photos
- Curitiba Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mestna Obcina Ptuj Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos
- Torino Intro, 13 reviews, 12 photos
- Potsdam Intro, 6 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Piura Intro, 12 reviews, 11 photos
- Departamento de Piura Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cefalú Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Quito Intro, 12 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salerno Intro, 11 reviews, 8 photos