"Brasilia" Brasília by lichinga
Brasília Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 210 photos
The Chamber of Deputies and the Senate are one beside the other, under the street level and they are surmounted by two "dishes": one upwards and the the other downwards. The tall white palace is the office of the President. The width between the two rows of Ministerial palaces is around 150 metres, leaving an open grass space where any group of people, no matter how big, will always feel lost: the Governement based in Brasilia is immune from people protest (which is also very difficult to organise because of the enormous distances from all the mayor Brazilian inhabited areas).
<p>Brasilia has been built in the Sixties, when the militar dictatorship ruling over Brasil wanted to demonstrate its interest for the expansion of the New Frontier: the attempt of putting their interest beyond the nature's own limits.It should also be noted that the former Government office, based in Rio de Janeiro, were too close to the people rage, to the "influence" of the common sense against the central Government decisions: Brasil has always privileged the benefits of large investors, be them foreign or nationals. It may be said its Constitution defends the power of oligarchy in a more evident way than the individuals' rights, so Brasilia had its roots in a number of justifications.</p>
<p>Since that period, the investements needed to build the new city in a abandoned area of the central high plateau transformed Brasil into a net debtor of foreign capitals.</p>
<p>Brasilia was not left alone: trans-Amazonia roads had also been traced by military men, you may still see them on some maps, bravely crossing the forest in the Northern, Southern and Eastern parts! Once you've noticed them on the map, there's no use in looking for them on the ground: maintenance costs were huge, unsuccessfully trying to stop the power of the Amazon forest regeneration! They've been abandoned for being definitely unuseful.</p>
Everything in Brasilia is "off the beaten path", because there are no beaten paths. In the picture, you see... more travel advice
The Brasilian architect Oscar Niemeyer is a genius: that is out of discussion! The concept of Brasilia has been a... more travel advice
lichinga's Related Pages
Brasília Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Brasília - The Monument City"
- "Brasília - from the prophecy to reality!!!"
- "My Home Homepage"
- "REVOLUTIONARY AIRPLANE LAYOUT FOR A CITY"
- "TWINE's Brasilia Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brasília
- Hotels in Brasília
- Transportation in Brasília
- Nightlife in Brasília
- Restaurants in Brasília
- Shopping in Brasília
- Warnings and Dangers in Brasília
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Brasília
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Brasília?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brasília
Top 10 Pages
- Palermo Intro, 16 reviews, 15 photos
- Curitiba Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mestna Obcina Ptuj Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos
- Torino Intro, 13 reviews, 12 photos
- Potsdam Intro, 6 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Piura Intro, 12 reviews, 11 photos
- Departamento de Piura Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cefalú Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Quito Intro, 12 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salerno Intro, 11 reviews, 8 photos