"Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg" Top 5 Page for this destination Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg by S.Cunis
Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg Travel Guide: 1,562 reviews and 3,694 photos
Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg is the complete official name of Hamburg.
The name denotes, that it always used to be a free city, not connected to any regional ruler, and that it belonged to the Hanse, an early european trade community.
Hamburg not only is a city, but at the same time a Bundesland (state of the Federal Republik). Basically the boundaries of the state are identical with those of the city.
Outside of Hamburg, but also belonging to it, is only the island of Neuwerk and the surrounding area on the left hand side of the Elbe estuary, near Cuxhaven.
Earlier, up to 1907, also Cuxhaven did belong to Hamburg.
The largest extension of the area of Hamburg took place in 1937, when Hamburg annexed by dercee (Gross-Hamburg Gestz) Altona, Wandsbek, and Harburg.
These parts up to then had their own history and development and their own suburbs.
So, if you want to discover the special character of some of the parts of Hamburg, it would be a good idea, to take a look at their individual (pre-Hamburg) history too.
Hamburg started as a small bishop's residence ... In the surrounding area many smaller settlements, and even some larger towns (e.g. Altona), developed. But as Hamburg grew, during the years these where bit by bit swallowed by Hamburg.
In general Info No.1 I will give a listing of the administrational regions of Hamburg and of the individual parts (Stadtteile) which belong to it.
Since there are not yet (Nov.11.2002) individual pages for most of the parts (Stadtteile) of Hamburg here on VT, perhaps it would be best to write about things specific to a special part of Hamburg, here with the name of the Stadtteil in the header.
The Island Neuwerk with its small islands Scharhoern and Nigehoern belongs to Hamburg too, although it is situated... more travel advice
S.Cunis' Related Pages
Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WELCOME TO MY HAMBURG PAGE ......:-)"
- "Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg"
- "Nimm mich mit Kapit?n!"
- "it rains nowhere else like in hamburg"
- "HH - Harbor, History and more"
- "Christmas 2005 in Hamburg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg
- Hotels in Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg
- Transportation in Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg
- Nightlife in Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg
- Restaurants in Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg
- Shopping in Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg
- 12 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg
Top 10 Pages
- Chisinau Intro, 22 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Wedel Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hamburg Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Czech Republic Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Fürth 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Spindleruv Mlyn Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Butuceni Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Højer Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Christiansfeld Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos