""I wonder what's around that corner...?"" StayLonger's Profile

General Stuff

Simply put, I love to travel.

I left home at 19, joining the US Air Force, mostly for the travel opportunities. My first few years, I was stationed in upstate NY, met my wife, and did my first international travelling (Canada!).

From there, moved to San Antonio, TX, where we just marked time until the next assignment, the United Kingdom.

If I was interested in travelling before going to the UK, living there made me absolutely rabid about it. So much to see, so much to experience, all crammed into a very driveable, tourable country. For the three years we lived in England, I would guess we were away from home on weekends and holidays probably 90% of the time, seeing as much of the UK and Europe as we could. That period still remains the best, most satisfying, time of my life.

After returning the the US, we stayed a short time in Delaware (a surprisingly good home base for a lot of interesting travel opportunities), where I left the Air Force, joined the private sector, and moved to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.

At that point, my wife began working in travel, so we kept up our routine of taking long weekends and holidays, going to see family, going to Vegas, Florida, Massachusetts, back to the UK, and anywhere else we could find "space-A" room.

A new job opportunity and family matters brought us back to my home state. It also brought a fly-drive trip to Ireland, a short break to London, and a river cruise in Europe, along with a couple of domestic road trips.

That about sums it up so far. My wife and I have been married over 20 years, no kids, one dog. She works as a travel agent, I work in IT. We both love to visit Europe more than any other destination, though we do occasionally break that routine. It's not easy with the need to save for retirement, pay our bills, and travel, but we do manage a nice trip every couple of years. In between, we plan the next trip!

What's Next?

The two of us are really open-minded about travelling; we enjoy package tours, we like to do-it-ourselves, we don't mind renting a car, we love public transportation, we search out unusual places, and get a kick out of ultra-touristy kitsch. We love it all!

For 2011, we're planning all domestic travel: a couple of short road trips (one back to my wife's hometown in NY), and a week in Chicago during the Christmas Market there.

In 2012, the big plan is an Alaska land and cruise vacation. I'm not that crazy about cruises, but I want to see Alaska, and part of it is by train, which I'm really excited about.

2013 remains open, though I'm planning a "mystery vacation" as a milestone birthday gift for my wife that year. More on that as it develops.

Long Term

The long-range goal (i.e. retirement) is to be able to spend a good part of the year living in Europe. I'm learning German as both a preparation for this, and to keep my brain from turning to mush.

A few months in the US and a few months based out of one location in Europe (with easy transport for day/weekend trips) would be ideal. Anywhere in the UK, Germany, Austria, The Netherlands, Belgium, all would be fantasic, not to mention the Czech Republic, or Ireland.

Where Have We Been?

Our Favorite Destinations (in no order):

International:
Sweden, France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Scotland, England, Wales, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Slovakia, Hungary

In the US:

New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Hawaii (my wife's, not mine), Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, Nevada

What's On the Wish List?

Wow, where to start?

Russia, Romania, Denmark, Finland, Norway.

Back to Germany, Austria, Scotland, England, Wales, and Ireland, for sure.

We would also love to go back to The Netherlands, Belgium, and Italy, and the Alsace would be wonderful.

In the US? Philadelphia is a favorite city of ours. We've never been to Boston, so that would be good. St. Augustine, FL would be interesting. NYC, San Francisco, Seattle, all would make good destinations.

You know, the road never ends!

• Intro Updated Mar 26, 2011

Personal Pages (1)

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• kahnjetta's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Happy Birthday Ryan ! Best wishes on your special day.

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2013 at 3:42 AM

Happy Birthday

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2013 at 6:00 PM

certainly hope you are still staying longer. harry is pulling for you.

• Parisforless's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Thank you for accepting my friendship!

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I love your name as it reminds me of some road signs in just one district in Queensland....there is a whole series aimed at the kids in the car..."Dad when are we getting there?" next sign is Dad's reply.. THERE IS ONE ASKING "WHY CAN'T WE STAY LONGER"

• jekins's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Hi nice to meet you here at VT,let to share my exp with you greeting from cameroon

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Hi Ryan - wishing you a very happy birthday! Hope you have a great day.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Haha...enjoy your VT Flag and welcome to VT :) Cheers :)

• paolodecastro's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2011 at 10:54 PM

hi ryan loks like you have travel so many countries.......but theres missing u havent been to asia.........if you happen to plan to go to asia....stop by in my country Philippines and enjoy our world class beaches.....like Boracay ;)

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!