"Rejoined" zschachwitz's Profile

"As always, his test of whether or not to take a photograph was to imagine the shot framed and hanging on a wall. Was it something he could live with for months, years, without tiring of it? If yes, the shot was worth the film and effort. If no, he packed up and moved on." and "I've seen a hundred places - more than that, probably - where I wished I had a separate life for each of them and could settle down there, so i could get to know some people well, as others have done, as most have done." (Both, R J Waller, "A Thousand Country Roads").

My profile picture is of me after a (retirement present) Hot Air Balloon Ride; the most recent before that , (before my anti-scam notice) was of me, in a helicopter that saw service in Vietnam, on display in the Philippines Air Force Museum, Manila; previously I used the cartoon character, Arthur; before THAT, there was one of my wife and me on the Schrammstein, overlooking the River Elbe, about a mile downstream from the border of Germany and the Czech Republic

I was originally a member Nov 2002 - Feb 2011, but rejoined after about 5/6 weeks away, as I missed the company.

Good job I don't throw anything away, and I've reconstituted my home page Mark II, and slightly revised it.

Since I retired from full-time work in 2005, and finished my part-time job 47 years to the day since starting work, I must finish my USA travel blog, and then start, (and hopefully finish) an Asian blog, probably to include all three trips, to date. I was hoping to have another trip to Asia this year, 2011, but for a variety of reasons it hasn't taken place; it's unlikely that I shall be away in 2012, but 2013 beckons, and I'm seriously thinking about going to Indonesia. Having seen, at first hand, how detailed some holiday stories are, I have stretched back into my memory, and have also started to reconsitute my travel history, which so far as I can remember starts around 1948.

Up to 2005 I had only travelled in Europe, and was not, admittedly, over keen on flying. However, 2006 saw me undertake an ambition I’d held for nearly 50 years, and that was to travel along part of Route 66 in the USA. I read Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath" around 1959, and said "one day, I'll follow that route". Yes, that meant getting into a plane and flying. So I did – and haven’t looked back

2007 saw me off to Asia, where I spent three happy weeks in the Philippines, and as I sat in the Departure Lounge at Tacloban, en route for Manila, Hong Kong and home, I realised that not only was I looking forward to the flight(s), but that I was like a child eagerly and anxiously waiting for Santa. I am hooked on flying, and am now wondering where to go next.

2008 saw me on the Airbus A380, (an awesome beast) to Singapore, and then onto the Philippines - Manila, Vigan, Bohol and Dumaguete; 2010, to Kuala Lumpur, Ipoh, Singapore (by overnight train), and then Manila, Baguio, Puerto Galera and Iloilo

Another long-held ambition is to visit South Africa as I have some photos of Cape Town that my grandfather took in about 1910. I would to see how much it has changed. I also wish to return to the US: California again, but also to Lightning Alley in Florida. My daughter tells me that the storms really are awesome, (and she now has plans to marry in the US)

My favourite cities and places? In alphabetical order: Dresden, London, Metz, Nancy, Prague. Two more added in 2004, Leipzig and Potsdam, added in 2006: Philadelphia, Oklahoma City, and the West Coast of California from San Francisco to Carmel. 2010 Kuala Lumpur.

Smaller places: again, in alphabetical order - Annecy, Contrexeville, Guthrie (Oklahoma), Iloilo, Pont-a-Mousson, Roscommon, and Selestat; 2007 Bohol, 2008 Vigan, 2010 Iloilo;

I'm very fond of Alsace, Lorraine and the Vosges; am basically a “Mountains and Lakes” person, and don’t care all that much for places that are aimed at tourists; I wasn't one for beach holidays till I visited the Philippines - I STILL can't believe that beaches like that exist.

Extra bits

UPDATE: went back to work July 2012 - the aim was to save for my trip to SE Asia planned for May 2013 - and I duly went.

While away I met member AngMimi, how sad it was to hear, after I returned home, that she had died. She was wonderful company, and the many loving and kind tributes paid to her here are all totally justified.

Addition to "large places I love": Penang/George Town, and addition to smaller places - Boracay. And there's an absolutely wonderful beach on Guimaras, Philippines. New "category" - places that have disappointed me: Melaka.

I tend to not write reviews or tips; there are several reasons, and one of them is that whatever I have experienced on my travels has already been written about many times before by existing members. To be honest, I really don't think that there will be anything new that I can add, certainly very little, if anything, that will be up-to-date.

Likewise, I now very rarely add photos, (only 19 so far) and those pictures destined for a wider audience are on flickr (where I get rather better viewing figures....); quite apart from anything else, I use flickr for photos that are not travel related, sport, transport, "adult themes", etc.

I am on Twitter, but not Facebook

Here is a map of my home/work history: please let me know, preferably by email, if it is legible, sensible or whatever; in fact ANY comments will be appreciated. Thank you.

• Intro Updated Aug 31, 2013

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
zschachwitz's Profile Photo

zschachwitz

“When all else fails, use common sense. If any”

Real Name