"Planes and Trains and the occasional Bus" Dalyan by DaveG2011

Dalyan Travel Guide: 139 reviews and 302 photos

A Flight to Krakow

Each year we plan a different way to get to our villa in Dalyan, Turkey.
Last year we drove through Slovakia to the Tatra mountains where we spent a great week. As Krakow was only a few hours over the border in Poland, we decided to take a look. It was the first time we had been to Krakow and we were fascinated and left knowing that there was much more to see. So at the end of July this year we flew to Krakow from Newcastle our local airport in the North East of England. Amanda, wife scoured the web and chose a hotel near the Jewish quarter and that is where we spent much of our time. Krakow has some great bars and restaurants and all very reasonable price wise, wonderful wandering through the streets looking at the buildings and churches and appreciating the splendour that once was and those being restored to their former glory with Amanda looking at the gift shops. Fortunately, as with many of these gift shops, they tend to put a place of interest near them so I was suitably entertained. We went down the salt mines and were amazed to see even a huge church/cathedral hewn out of the salt, complete with statues and altar.

Overnight train to Vienna.

After spending 4 days in Krakow we then took an overnight train to Vienna followed by a train to Mosonmagyarovar in Hungary. My son teaches English in Bratislava and they have sold their flat to buy a house just over the border in Hungary. It was great to spend a few days with him, his wife Veronika and our 2 year old granddaughter Vanessa. Mosonmagyarova is a really nice town and quite wealthy by Hungarian standards. Small but with a castle, rivers, restaurants and bars. We had a day trip to the historic town of Gyor where a Baroque festival was taking place. Lots of costumes, music and dance. Hungary is a lovely place and the Hungarians very friendly.

Major tears at leaving Vanessa both hers and ours.

We had to move on so from there we took and overnight train from Mosonmagyarovar to Budapest and then to Romania.

We rarely travel on trains other than the Metro and these holidays for us were the first time for either of us in a sleeping compartment. The train from Krakow to Vienna was and Austrian train and as such was clean and well-appointed. Even a plug for the lap top so that we could watch a film with a beer and glass of wine before retiring. The train to Romania was different. The Dachia Express we were told is something like the modern equivalent of the Orient Express. Not to be and unfortunately quite dirty. As we arrived on the train we were told by the attendant to make sure our room was locked. No dining car so that was it for the night. We had been warned of pirates on the trains in Eastern Europe so we secured the compartment and settled down for the night. The only problem we encountered was when we were going across the border from Hungary into Romania. Romania is not yet in the schengen zone and we were therefore awoken at 03:30h by border guards requesting our passports. The heavy door banging gave us both quite a shock as it quickly brought us from our dreams. I gazed with mouth open as I found the guard on the Hungarian side was a really very very attractive blonde girl, in uniform. (I don't know whether you've had similar dreams) There I was trying to peep around the door sliding our passports to her, but no, she wanted to make sure that there was only the two of us in the room. She pushed the door wide open as I stood trying to hide my embarrassment in my undies. Fortunately I'd grabbed mine and wasn't caught wearing Amanda's thong.

The daylight revealed some wonderful countryside and from the train we saw horses pulling ploughs, people travelling in horse and carts and villages that were yet to discover tarmac. Sighisoara in Transylvania was our first stop. (apparently the best preserved walled Saxon towns in the whole of Europe) Our hotel was just outside the citadel and with restaurants and bars on both sides of the wall we were extremely happy. Romania is one of the few places that I have ever been to that I just ate what I wanted and fancied without first checking prices on the menu. Very very cheap, even a pint of beer less than a pound. Another shorter train journey took us to another very interesting but larger Saxon town called Brasov. Gate houses, walls, The Black Church and a mountain to climb which overlooked the whole town.

Our days in Sighisoara and Brasov quickly took our time. We had intended, and I had planned, to go into Bulgaria. So after 3 weeks travelling we felt that it was time to rest in the villa. So, heading to Bucharest where we stayed the night, we took a plane to Istanbul and subsequently a flight to Dalaman and our villa The Karadag Mill for a week.

The travels really all went smoothly until the end. Since the demise of Holidays4U, Goldtrail Travel and Aegean Airways, we had problems finding a flights home. All other airline flights were fully booked from Turkey. As Amanda would probably, if not kill me, would severely injure me if she wasn't back for work in time, we took the ferry to Rhodes and a flight from there to Newcastle on Wednesday night. We've done Rhodes now many times and really enjoy our trips there.

• Pros:Our second home to rest for a few days
  • Cons:It's a peaceful nature reserve with lovely restaurants and bars but one or two of them think that having Karaoki nights are a good idea. I hate them.
  • Last visit to Dalyan: Aug 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

DaveG2011 Visits Here Frequently!

“Life is the journey, not the destination, so enjoy it.”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.