"How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Travel" leon.partsi's Profile
I caught the travel bug hard during my first overseas trip to Thailand in 2009. Two weeks in a country where everything was so overwhelmingly different than my home hit me like a brick.
I didn't get sick, I wasn't a snob, and I wasn't disgusted by any of the practices, sights or sounds. Instead, I realised just how much there is outside my home and I swore to myself I'd see as much of it as possible. Nothing was off-limits. I scuba dived, I skydived, I did the bungy, I ate the local food and drank the local water. I communicated with people who didn't speak a lick of English in vague series of grunts and pointing.
I didn't care - I wanted to live like the world was my oyster. That's the feeling I try to muster every time I go on holidays.
When on holiday, you can be whoever you want to be. When on holiday, you are the best version of yourself - the one who is happy and free.
I caught the travel bug and I caught it bad. Travel was going to be permanent fixture in my life and I had to accept that.
So, since my first trip in 2009, I've visited 11 countries in the next 2 years. Not bad considering I had a full time job and only 4 weeks paid leave per year. I used a combination of travel hacking to get cheap flights and witchcraft to get time off from work to spend nearly 20% of my time out and about.
Some awesome travel stats, courtesy of Tripit:
4 countries, 9 cities, 44 days overseas.
Since 2010: 12 countries, 23 cities, 166 days overseas.
This is the part of my intro I am most excited about writing. These are the plans for my nearest upcoming travels.
One of my closest friends in the world is having his wedding in Koh Samui on the 12th - I will be flying into Phuket on the 5th and partying it up The Hangover style until I fly onwards to Kathmandu on the 13th in order to complete the Everest Base Camp Trek. I'll be away from home for a full month and expect to have some amazing photos from the trek. I am a fan of travelling slow and I really want to take my time with this one.
UPDATE: So, that happened. I completed the trek to Everest Base Camp and even made it to Kala Pattar beyond base camp, and I made it away with only 2 cases of light frostburn and 1 case of flesh-eating disease. Nothing a couple of courses of antibiotics couldn't fix! YAY! Here's my Nepal Page where I describe the city and the trek:
I've upgraded my travel plans. I'm now taking a full year off work in order to see the world. I am spending 4 months in Africa doing a Cape Town to Cairo tour, 3 months in Europe seeing Italy, Greece and Germany, then spending the remaining 5 months in South America. I've already booked one way tickets to Cape Town. I can't believe this is happening. UNREAL.
Personal Pages (2)
Written Oct 9, 2011
Some of my Favourite Photos
Written Oct 12, 2011
Melbourne At Night
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Pulau Sapi Hotels
- Lahore Hotels
- Manori Hotels
- Cebu City Hotels
- Legaspi City Hotels
- Montreal Hotels
- Malgrat de Mar
- Pondicherry Hotels
- Bali Hotels
- Table Rock State Park Hotels
- Figure Eight Island Hotels
- Cebu City
- Palma de Mallorca
- La Spezia
- Canberra Hotels
- Laoag City
- Cheras Hotels
- James Island Hotels
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 104 Reviews
- 385 Photos
- 6 Countries
- 11 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
- updated a Tanzania Travel Page "Gameparks and Mountains"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Gameparks and Mountains"
- Commented on swissfondue's profile page
- leon.partsi and heidialli are now friends.
- Posted in Travel Paris Forum "Re: travel information..."
- Wrote a Review Albert Park Lake about Albert Park in Melbourne Things to Do
updated their Profile Page "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Travel"
- Uploaded a Video to Melbourne
Top 10 Pages
- Melbourne Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 2 travelogues
- Alice Springs Intro, 15 reviews, 52 photos
- Perth Intro, 13 reviews, 42 photos
- Fremantle Intro, 10 reviews, 38 photos
- Nepal Intro, 8 reviews, 30 photos
- Moscow Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Sydney Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Vang Vieng Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22471 Reviews - 55005 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7926 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23320 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2027 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3096 Reviews - 5870 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26762 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos