"How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Travel" leon.partsi's Profile

Catching the Bug

I caught the travel bug hard during my first overseas trip to Thailand in 2009. Two weeks in a country where everything was so overwhelmingly different than my home hit me like a brick.

I didn't get sick, I wasn't a snob, and I wasn't disgusted by any of the practices, sights or sounds. Instead, I realised just how much there is outside my home and I swore to myself I'd see as much of it as possible. Nothing was off-limits. I scuba dived, I skydived, I did the bungy, I ate the local food and drank the local water. I communicated with people who didn't speak a lick of English in vague series of grunts and pointing.

I didn't care - I wanted to live like the world was my oyster. That's the feeling I try to muster every time I go on holidays.

When on holiday, you can be whoever you want to be. When on holiday, you are the best version of yourself - the one who is happy and free.

Stage 2 of Having an Incurable Disease: Acceptance

I caught the travel bug and I caught it bad. Travel was going to be permanent fixture in my life and I had to accept that.

So, since my first trip in 2009, I've visited 11 countries in the next 2 years. Not bad considering I had a full time job and only 4 weeks paid leave per year. I used a combination of travel hacking to get cheap flights and witchcraft to get time off from work to spend nearly 20% of my time out and about.

Some awesome travel stats, courtesy of Tripit:
Since 2012:
4 countries, 9 cities, 44 days overseas.
Since 2010: 12 countries, 23 cities, 166 days overseas.

Plans for 2012-13

This is the part of my intro I am most excited about writing. These are the plans for my nearest upcoming travels.

Feb 2012:
One of my closest friends in the world is having his wedding in Koh Samui on the 12th - I will be flying into Phuket on the 5th and partying it up The Hangover style until I fly onwards to Kathmandu on the 13th in order to complete the Everest Base Camp Trek. I'll be away from home for a full month and expect to have some amazing photos from the trek. I am a fan of travelling slow and I really want to take my time with this one.

UPDATE: So, that happened. I completed the trek to Everest Base Camp and even made it to Kala Pattar beyond base camp, and I made it away with only 2 cases of light frostburn and 1 case of flesh-eating disease. Nothing a couple of courses of antibiotics couldn't fix! YAY! Here's my Nepal Page where I describe the city and the trek:
Leon's Nepal

April 2013:
I've upgraded my travel plans. I'm now taking a full year off work in order to see the world. I am spending 4 months in Africa doing a Cape Town to Cairo tour, 3 months in Europe seeing Italy, Greece and Germany, then spending the remaining 5 months in South America. I've already booked one way tickets to Cape Town. I can't believe this is happening. UNREAL.

• Intro Updated Oct 23, 2012

• Usctwin's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Just popping by to say hello, hope all is well!

Nov 9, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Hi how are you doing Leon - its been a long time since last heard from you - hope all okay with you! how did you get on with your year off to travel?!

• leon.partsi's Profile Photo
      Jan 15, 2015 at 2:07 AM

Hahaha it sounds like you're moving every two weeks - rough schedule! For my trip I spent 4 months in Africa, 4 months in Europe and 5 months of South America. I've never been to New Zealand though - I hope you're having a great time!

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:59 AM

well NZ is my 1st home country, country of birth and my family and best friends are here so its a joy to do whatever im doing here but mostly maximising the time i have with my mother. and what i can do for her..take her around for things that suit her and bringing her along with me to go see sights again for my own refreshers and pics for vt pages that ive never got aorund to making!
      2 weeks in China is to catch up with my baggage that is still there in Xian where ive had 11 months...
      and 2 weeks in another Asian country or 2 is just trying to see if i can squeeze a bit more indulgence out of my time and money lol!
      good on for your
      travels - great places - ive loved living in London and being able to see a lot of Europe, certainly special travels there!
      I think from memory though you didnt do much or any of MOrocco though? the past 18months that ive been doing what ive been doing is the longest stint away from Morocco in probably the past 14 years...but probably wont the be the first lol.
      all the best with being back home!

• Parisforless's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2014 at 4:47 PM

It's never late to wish a happy birthday to a friend. Hope you've had a great time and wish you many more happy moments in your life!!!

• swissfondue's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2014 at 5:31 AM

Happy birthday Leon for the 11th.
    PS: If you are not back in Melbourne yet hope you are still enjoying your amazing trip. Heidi x

• Usctwin's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Hope you had a great birthday!

• HispanicYob's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Happy birthday!

• roslanml's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2014 at 4:59 PM

happy birthday

May 11, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Happy Birthday Leon, wherever you are!

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2014 at 2:00 AM

Wonder how you are going....Are you coming to The Aussie Meet in Cairns? Sept? Anyway Happy Birthday!

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:58 PM

hi and hope you've been enjoying the Christmas season...all the very best for the new year! where are you these days? never seen you around the ridges much any more! will have to have a roam around your pages again I guess for an update of how your world trip has been going! its been a year since I left work and took off with a round the world ticket - now in China for a year so it will be a 2 year break from work when and if I get back to London!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
leon.partsi's Profile Photo

leon.partsi

“Try everything so many times you can't stand it anymore.”

Real Name