"How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Travel" leon.partsi's Profile

Catching the Bug

I caught the travel bug hard during my first overseas trip to Thailand in 2009. Two weeks in a country where everything was so overwhelmingly different than my home hit me like a brick.

I didn't get sick, I wasn't a snob, and I wasn't disgusted by any of the practices, sights or sounds. Instead, I realised just how much there is outside my home and I swore to myself I'd see as much of it as possible. Nothing was off-limits. I scuba dived, I skydived, I did the bungy, I ate the local food and drank the local water. I communicated with people who didn't speak a lick of English in vague series of grunts and pointing.

I didn't care - I wanted to live like the world was my oyster. That's the feeling I try to muster every time I go on holidays.

When on holiday, you can be whoever you want to be. When on holiday, you are the best version of yourself - the one who is happy and free.

Stage 2 of Having an Incurable Disease: Acceptance

I caught the travel bug and I caught it bad. Travel was going to be permanent fixture in my life and I had to accept that.

So, since my first trip in 2009, I've visited 11 countries in the next 2 years. Not bad considering I had a full time job and only 4 weeks paid leave per year. I used a combination of travel hacking to get cheap flights and witchcraft to get time off from work to spend nearly 20% of my time out and about.

Some awesome travel stats, courtesy of Tripit:
Since 2012:
4 countries, 9 cities, 44 days overseas.
Since 2010: 12 countries, 23 cities, 166 days overseas.

Plans for 2012-13

This is the part of my intro I am most excited about writing. These are the plans for my nearest upcoming travels.

Feb 2012:
One of my closest friends in the world is having his wedding in Koh Samui on the 12th - I will be flying into Phuket on the 5th and partying it up The Hangover style until I fly onwards to Kathmandu on the 13th in order to complete the Everest Base Camp Trek. I'll be away from home for a full month and expect to have some amazing photos from the trek. I am a fan of travelling slow and I really want to take my time with this one.

UPDATE: So, that happened. I completed the trek to Everest Base Camp and even made it to Kala Pattar beyond base camp, and I made it away with only 2 cases of light frostburn and 1 case of flesh-eating disease. Nothing a couple of courses of antibiotics couldn't fix! YAY! Here's my Nepal Page where I describe the city and the trek:
Leon's Nepal

April 2013:
I've upgraded my travel plans. I'm now taking a full year off work in order to see the world. I am spending 4 months in Africa doing a Cape Town to Cairo tour, 3 months in Europe seeing Italy, Greece and Germany, then spending the remaining 5 months in South America. I've already booked one way tickets to Cape Town. I can't believe this is happening. UNREAL.

• Intro Updated Oct 23, 2012

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:58 PM

hi and hope you've been enjoying the Christmas season...all the very best for the new year! where are you these days? never seen you around the ridges much any more! will have to have a roam around your pages again I guess for an update of how your world trip has been going! its been a year since I left work and took off with a round the world ticket - now in China for a year so it will be a 2 year break from work when and if I get back to London!

• swissfondue's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Hi there Leon. Hope all is well and you are still having a great time. Did you have to vote? Heidi :)

• swissfondue's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Hey Leon, Hope everything is going well and you had a nice birthday. Keep safe and keeping making memories cause thats the definition of travelling (for me at least) Cheers Heidi. :)

• heidialli's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2013 at 10:57 PM

I've been to SE Asia, too, but NOT doing that ;)
    Have fun travelling!!

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Some exciting travel plans for coming up for you, Leon! Happy belated birthday!

• Usctwin's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Happy belated birthday wishes to you!

• heydelin's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2013 at 3:38 AM

Good day mate! Happy birthday!

• HispanicYob's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Happy birthday to ya from the deserts of New Mexico!!!!!

May 11, 2013 at 4:34 AM

Hi Happy Birthday Leon! looks like you've been busy attending to all your plans for upcoming excitement so no wonder haven't heard from you for a while! Are you still including Morocco in your Africa plans? I had 6 weeks in South America - Chile, Bolivia and Peru - in Nov-Dec and had an amazing time!...(and then of course amazing too to be home with family and friends in NZ for 3 months and Sydney for 2 weeks....my storage of 12 years has been done and dusted woo hoo!) and been back in Morocco for another 4 weeks now! have a wonderful day and weekend!....trust me a whole year off is amazing amazing!

May 11, 2013 at 7:40 AM

how come you haven't accepted my friends request lol Im seeing others being accepted since...though I had thought we had already done that! my page here says its still at request stage?!

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2013 at 3:44 AM

Happy birthday Leon,hope you are doing something special.
    Cheers Dorrise.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
leon.partsi's Profile Photo

leon.partsi

“Try everything so many times you can't stand it anymore.”

Real Name