"Have passport, will travel!" lucy321's Profile

Where on earth is Hildesheim?

Back in 2009 I decided to attend an international conference which was being held at the University of Hildesheim. I had never heard of Hildesheim, had never been to Germany and had travelled very little in Europe (or anywhere, really!)

It's a long way from Perth, Western Australia, for a three day conference, so I decided to take a leap of faith and took three weeks off work so that I could travel around by train and visit a few places in Germany. It was extremely cold, being February, and I was determined to come back in summer, which I did, in 2011, having six weeks this time to explore more of glorious Germany.

Really, when I look back at it, this conference changed my life. I made a couple of wonderful friends, I visited some spellbindingly beautiful places, but most of all, it showed me that I was capable of taking myself off to a foreign country BY MYSELF. I experienced a lot of anxiety in the build up to that first trip but the important lesson I learnt is that I mustn't let that stop me. Just accept that there will be some anxious moments, but understand that they will pass! And luckily for me, Germany seems to be populated with many friendly, helpful, kind people!

• Intro Updated Apr 21, 2013

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Happy New Year dear Lucy :-))

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Dear Ingrid, Happy New Year! I received your card today, it was lovely to get as I have been thinking of you lately. I will send you an email...

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Dec 31, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Thank you dear Lucy :-))) Oh my, I am sorry that it took so long :-( The card I mean :-)) My email is still the same (the one you know) :-) Or ... we could Skype one day?
      Tons of hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!

• paddington28's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2014 at 4:47 AM

thank you for accepting my request,Happy travels!

• ranjansahu's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Thanks for accepting my request.

• davidjo's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Hi, Happy to have a new friend. Coincidence-----we have another member from London who i met at a VT meet,and is emigrating to Perth and he will arrive at our house next week and tour the island for 10 days on his way to OZ

Sep 13, 2014 at 5:36 PM

That might have sounded a bit nosy - I just meant that I would be happy to offer them help if they needed it.

• davidjo's Profile Photo
      Sep 13, 2014 at 6:25 PM

littlebush

• kahnjetta's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Happy Birthday Lucy! Best wishes on your special day.

• DaHongHua's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Hi Lucy, happy birthday. I wish you all the best.

• mili_143's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Wish you many many happy returns of the day Lucy....Enjoy.

Sep 10, 2014 at 1:41 AM

Thank you Milind. I enjoyed reading your Life thoughts on your profile page.

• mili_143's Profile Photo
      Sep 10, 2014 at 11:17 AM

You are most welcome Lucy.

• Odiseya's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2014 at 5:21 AM

Happy Birthday!

• kingip's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2014 at 3:19 AM

Happy Birthday!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Thanks Lucy. I am looking forward to and the trip as this one will be quite an adventure!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
lucy321's Profile Photo

lucy321

“Don't wait for the right person to travel with - just go! You are your own perfect travel companion...”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.