"Have passport, will travel!" lucy321's Profile

Where on earth is Hildesheim?

Back in 2009 I decided to attend an international conference which was being held at the University of Hildesheim. I had never heard of Hildesheim, had never been to Germany and had travelled very little in Europe (or anywhere, really!)

It's a long way from Perth, Western Australia, for a three day conference, so I decided to take a leap of faith and took three weeks off work so that I could travel around by train and visit a few places in Germany. It was extremely cold, being February, and I was determined to come back in summer, which I did, in 2011, having six weeks this time to explore more of glorious Germany.

Really, when I look back at it, this conference changed my life. I made a couple of wonderful friends, I visited some spellbindingly beautiful places, but most of all, it showed me that I was capable of taking myself off to a foreign country BY MYSELF. I experienced a lot of anxiety in the build up to that first trip but the important lesson I learnt is that I mustn't let that stop me. Just accept that there will be some anxious moments, but understand that they will pass! And luckily for me, Germany seems to be populated with many friendly, helpful, kind people!

• Intro Updated Apr 21, 2013

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
lucy321's Profile Photo

lucy321

“Don't wait for the right person to travel with - just go! You are your own perfect travel companion...”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.