"Alkmaar on a hot sunny day" Alkmaar by Sprucebeer
Alkmaar Travel Guide: 181 reviews and 434 photos
A quick drive Northwest from Amsterdam you’ll find the cutest little town. Alkmaar is a delightful historical town along the Noordhollandskanaal in the Noord-Holland Province. Stroll along the narrow coble stone streets in the town centre where you will find many shops and restaurants. Or stroll along the canal on the bicycle path. The houses along the canal are so tiny and cute. One even had a fence painted on the side of the house. On the path we rested on a bench with an older local who insisted on speaking to us in Dutch, not sure he understood that we only spoke English… hehehe was a funny experience. He had lots to tell us… too bad I have no idea what he said. We also walked up to a beautiful windmill on the same path.
Alkmaar is famous for its cheese market (markt kaas) on Friday mornings from April to October. This would have been really interesting to see; unfortunately we were not there on that day.
This could be done in a day trip from Amsterdam.
Alkmaar Stadhuis Gothic Renaissance style town hall designed by Jan Stuyt. Right across the street from The Hof van... more travel advice
Our first up close look at a windmill. This one was in walking distance from the centre of town. Actually it was the... more travel advice
Sprucebeer's Related Pages
Alkmaar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alkmaar from the inside"
- "another pretty Dutch town - with lots of cheese!"
- "A little page about Alkmaar"
- "Alkmaar, The Netherlands"
- "Alkmaar on a hot sunny day"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alkmaar
- Hotels in Alkmaar
- Transportation in Alkmaar
- Nightlife in Alkmaar
- Restaurants in Alkmaar
- Shopping in Alkmaar
- Warnings and Dangers in Alkmaar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alkmaar
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Alkmaar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alkmaar
Photos in AlkmaarSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 22 photos
- Ottawa Intro, 17 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hull Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valkenburg Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ireland Intro, 7 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Groningen Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- County Kerry Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cashel Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Dublin Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Scotland Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos