Provincie Noord-Holland Things to Do Tips by Sprucebeer
Provincie Noord-Holland Things to Do: 31 reviews and 31 photos
Afsluitdijk looking back towards Den Oever
We made it to the Dam! To our surprise the Dam is all under water and you see a road that looks like it goes on forever out on the water. In the photo you have the Ijsselmeer on the left and the Waddenzee on the right.
The Afsluitdijk (Closure-Dike) was built to block off the Zuiderzee in order to prevent constant flooding and ravaging on the land. This slowly created fresh water on the other side now known as the Ijsselmeer.
The Dike took more than half a century; plans drawn up in 1891, first closure of the Zuiderzee in 1920 and the official opening of the Closure-Dike in 1933.
The road capacity of the Dike no longer being adequate for the traffic, the road was made into a motorway (A7) in 1976.%f*
Directions: Den Oever is a small town where the Afsluitdijk starts.
The Afsluitdijk road to Friesland is 30 km.
There is a lookout tower in Breezanddijk where you can stop, take pictures, eat and rest a little. There is a pedestrian bridge where you can see both sides of the motorway.
Directions: On the Closure-Dike between Noord-Holland and Friesland
Sculpture of Stone Worker
Sculpture of a stone worker to on the Waddenzee side of the pedestrian bridge.
It was very windy on the bridge and even though it was a clear sunny day, when you are in the middle (between Noord-Holland and Friesland), you are surrounded by water and it gets misty and hard to see the boats, fishing nets and windmills out on the water. If you have binoculars they come in handy here. There are paying viewers if you don't have any.
Directions: On the Afsluitdijk, between Norrd-Holland and Friesland
Sprucebeer's Related Pages
Provincie Noord-Holland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Tour Of the Netherlands"
- "2 days visit to Noord holland"
- "Nifty Noord-Holland"
- "Province of Noord-Holland"
- "Tulip fields"
- "Noord Holland Provencie"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincie Noord-Holland
- Hotels in Provincie Noord-Holland
- Transportation in Provincie Noord-Holland
- Nightlife in Provincie Noord-Holland
- Restaurants in Provincie Noord-Holland
- Shopping in Provincie Noord-Holland
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincie Noord-Holland
- See All...
Explore the World
- Atlanta Hotels
- Province of Zambales Hotels
- Badulla Hotels
- Giant City State Park Hotels
- State of Jammu and Kashmir
Badges & Stats in Provincie Noord-Holland
- 33 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Provincie Noord-Holland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincie Noord-Holland
Photos in Provincie Noord-HollandSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 22 photos
- Ottawa Intro, 17 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hull Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valkenburg Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ireland Intro, 7 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Groningen Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- County Kerry Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cashel Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Dublin Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Scotland Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
Top Provincie Noord-Holland hotels
- Amsterdam Hotels
- 10124 Reviews - 21103 Photos
- Volendam Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 262 Photos
- Amstelveen Hotels
- 40 Reviews - 77 Photos
- Zandvoort Hotels
- 37 Reviews - 93 Photos
- Enkhuizen Hotels
- 147 Reviews - 474 Photos
- Texel Hotels
- 194 Reviews - 495 Photos
- Alkmaar Hotels
- 126 Reviews - 345 Photos
- Aalsmeer Hotels
- 40 Reviews - 85 Photos
- Hoofddorp Hotels
- 17 Reviews - 139 Photos
- Durgerdam Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 49 Photos
- Zaandam Hotels
- 58 Reviews - 194 Photos
- Schiphol Hotels
- 186 Reviews - 502 Photos
- Muiden Hotels
- 23 Reviews - 76 Photos
- Monnickendam Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 42 Photos
- Haarlem Hotels
- 570 Reviews - 1426 Photos