"Annali-Floris" Annali-Floris's Profile

A Short Introduction

I'm a South African, born and bred, now retired and enjoying every moment of retirement!
My husband, Floris, and I love to travel. Our only regret is that we started too late, only when our younger son moved to England 13 years ago. But since then, boy, have we started travelling!
In 2000 I did London, parts of England and Scotland with our son. Floris declined going, but when I returned with all the photos and stories, he was inspired.
The next year we went to visit our son again, did Scotland again, right up to Isle of Skye. Then to Amsterdam for a few days.
From then on we went every 2nd year. It takes us about 2 years to save up for our next trip, as the exchange rate from SA Rands to Euro and Pound is very bad. We pay about R11 for 1 UK Pound and R9 for the Euro.
Anyway, since then we've been to Holland again (we love Amsterdam), Brussels, Bruges, Paris and in between Wales, Kent, St.Ives (where my daughter-in-law comes from).
And of course we've been to Italy twice. First time we did Florence, Pisa, Venice and the Cinque Terre. Last year we did Rome, Assissi, Amalfi Coast and Sicily.
In 2008 Floris and I did part of the Camino. We planned on doing it again next year, but decided to do Greece first and then perhaps next time do the Camino again. We really enjoyed that tremendously as we love hiking.
We go for 2-3 hr walks every day. Sometimes to Table Mountain and sometimes to the Tygerberg Nature Reserve which is just 10min drive away from us.
From Santiago we went to Portugal, Porto and Lissabon.
Then to Spain, Seville, Granada, Madrid.
Apart from travelling, I love to read. I always buy stacks of books when we go to the UK, because books are much cheaper there than here.
My favourite places:
In the UK: (i) Bourton-on-the-Water
(ii) Stratford-upon-Avon
(iii) St. Ives
And first of all, St.Albans wher our son lives. Beautiful village!
Magnificent Cathedral! Lots of hiking trails.
Both of us love London and can never get enough of exploring
this wonderful city.

Italy: (i) ASSISSI!! Will go back any day!
(ii) The Cinque Terre
(iii) Florence
(iv) Positano
And then ALL old Cathedrals everywhere!

• Intro Updated Jan 22, 2011

• Annali-Floris's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Hi again! Yes, we love travelling independently, on our own or with friends. Will start doing organised tours when we get too old to do it on our own! Our next trip to Turkey will only be in June next year, but I like to start planning early (that's part of the fun for me). Wish we could travel more, but with the exchange rate .............. that's another story! Just cannot afford it :-( !

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
      Jul 6, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Hi! ive been very blessed to have had the opportunity to take a year or 2 off work and catch up on travelling and attend to things needing doing thankfully in other parts of the world that I also come from! lucky me to have NZ and Australia as homes and roots as well to have to go and visit to catch up with friends and family and get rid of long waiting storage! so been travelling since September last year and hopefully off to China for a year in August - the Aussie dollar has plunged quite a bit though so I have to take care of the drop in value I will now get from funds that are there and budget even tighter...or go back to work as soon as poss lol!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Hi Annali! wonderful to read your write up of your venturing out and getting into travel here! ...love the places you have written you love here! have a great time in Turkey! we have just had 4 weeks driving around and its been great to be doing it independently since the group tour I had 14 years ago!...what a difference!

• DaHongHua's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2012 at 8:29 AM

A warm happy birthday greeting from Malaysia.
    Keep happy and healthy body. Keep travelling, keep on enjoy life.

• TrendsetterME's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Hey Annali, "Happy Birthday", with all my best wishes ... :)

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2011 at 7:06 AM

Hi Annali
    What delightfully happy pictures! And a belated welcome to VT!
    Looking forward to you writing up some of your travels: I was brought up less than 10 miles from St Albans and also adore St Ives, so if you don't know where to start, you could do worse than beginning with them! Just a warning: it quickly becomes addictive!
    Regards
    Cathy

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Enjoy Istanbul! I loved it, and I am sure you will too!
    Nice photo's of the pair of you two, enjoy VT!

• giampiero6's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Hey...now there's a great start!

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Wow Annali! You have got me all excited about our Europe trip this year....when you mentioned that you love Amsterdam and Brugge! :o) No we are not affected by the floods here in Perth. See you around vt! Cheers, Ann.

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2011 at 7:57 AM

Hallo Annali Ja hoor ik denk dat ik Afrikaans well kan lezen hoor em misschien wel verstaan Your hubby Floris could be my brother haha Only I have a bigger belly but the beard looks simular hehe

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2011 at 4:58 PM

nice beard, annali. welcome to vt.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Annali-Floris's Profile Photo

Annali-Floris

“Nuts about travelling!”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.