"KEFALLONIA" Top 5 Page for this destination Cefalonia Island by Christianne
Cefalonia Island Travel Guide: 137 reviews and 338 photos
The human presence on the island dates back to the Paleolithic period.
During the Mycenaen period the island was flourishing and had connection with Ithaki, Lefkada and the far-off Cyclades which was terminates in 1500 B.C. probably because of the explosion of the volcano of Santorini.
The island is mostly mountainous, the most mountainous from the Ionian Islands.Ainos' highest peak is Megas Soros at the 1628 metres.
As for all the other mountains, such as Roudi, Sela, Vrohonas, Omorfia and Avgo their highest peaks are not more than 1000 metres.
In Kefallonia I spent most of my summers since my childhood.
Lixouri is the capital of the second Province (Eparchia) with the name Paliki.
The third Province is Sami with its capital Sami. See more on my Sami page.
Before the destructive earthquake of 1953 Kefallonia had almost 365 villages. Nowadays, remain only 200 villages most of them located next to the coast and some of them in the plains.
For more information on the itineraries of the boats, check out my transportation tips.
It is believed that Kefallonia took its name from the hero Cephalus (Kefalos).
It is also believed that "cephales" comes from the worl "cephales" refering to its mountains or to the fact that it is the biggest Ionian Island.
According to the Hellenic Mythology, the first Kefallonians were the Taphioi (or Teleboes) named after their first King Taphios who was the son of the god Poseidon and Hippothoe.
When Amphitryon, king of Theba declared the war to Pterelaos, king of Kefallonia, Kefalos, who lived in Attica, helped the king of Theba to win the war.
Amphitryon, gave Kefallonia to Kefalos as present for his help.
Kefalos became the king of Kefallonia.
The four main town of the island were named after his four sons:
-Krani after his son Kranios
-Samos or Sami after his son Samos
-Pali after his son Paleus
-Pronni after his son Pronessos
These four town remained autonomous till the Roman conquest of Greece as well as their were independent from each other.
- Pros:Picturesque and unusual island!
Poros is the biggest district of new Elios-Pronnoi municipality. Is a beautiful,colourful village, surrounded by the... more travel advice
The Drapanos Bridge, at the harbour which dates back to the period of the British protection, connects the town with... more travel advice
Christianne's Related Pages
Cefalonia Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Captain Corelli and a lot more!"
- "Cefalonia, the sheep head shaped island."
- "Packed It, Booked It, Flew Off"
- "Kefalonia: an island of contrasts"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cefalonia Island
- Hotels in Cefalonia Island
- Transportation in Cefalonia Island
- Nightlife in Cefalonia Island
- Restaurants in Cefalonia Island
- Shopping in Cefalonia Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Cefalonia Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cefalonia Island
- 25 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Cefalonia Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cefalonia Island
Top 10 Pages
- Rhodes (Island) Intro, 83 reviews, 216 photos, 10 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 103 reviews, 119 photos, 7 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 69 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Syros Island Intro, 56 reviews, 58 photos
- Thessaloniki Intro, 45 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sami Intro, 51 reviews, 45 photos
- Ermoupolis Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Greece Intro, 34 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Spain Intro, 16 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nafplio Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos