Helsinki Transportation Tips by ZeekLTK
Helsinki Transportation: 328 reviews and 343 photos
Rautatieasema is the centrally located rail and bus station. If you are arriving from the airport you can take either the Finnair Bus or the 615 and both will drop you off somewhere around the station. Coming from the West Terminal Port, you can take the 15, 15A or 15V and they will all drop you off here as well. I'm sure there are specific buses from the other ports as well. Buses that depart for other cities generally leave from this station too.
All train tracks end here as well, so if you are coming from out of town via train, this is where you will end up too. Additionally, there are several trams that go by out front, and it is easy to reach on foot from anywhere in downtown making it very easy and convenient to use.
Inside the station you can get information about various bus and train schedules to help you get around both Helsinki and Finland in general.
Other Contact: http://www.vr.fi
When in Helsinki, it won't take long to notice the vast track system that runs throughout the streets or to notice the big green boxes rolling along them. These are the trams and they are an excellent way to get around the city.
There are a number of different trams, all running different routes, so just find the one that's going to your destination and hop on.
If you've just gotten into the city, it'd be worth it to jump on the 3B or 3T - these both run in a circle around the most popular spots in town, so it's like a mini-tour for only the cost of one tram ride. Take note of where everything is so that you can either ride back to those spots later, or (since the town is small enough) probably walk back to them too.
Cost was 2.70 Euros for a ride, but I believe you can get a "day pass" for only slightly more to ride the tram as much as you want during a day. Not sure how much that costs though as I only rode the tram once (to take the 3T route around the city and back to my starting point).
There are several taxi services in Helsinki, but in my opinion they are not needed. They cost way more to use than any other form of transportation and do not really provide any benefits. Maybe they are slightly faster, but unless you've missed the bus and really need to get somewhere RIGHT NOW then it's probably not worth it to get a taxi.
No matter where you want to go in Helsinki, you will be able to get their by either walking, taking a tram, or taking a bus. Whether it's to (or from) the airport, a port, or anywhere else in town, these options are always available and are always cheaper! So save some money and avoid the taxi cabs.
I was in Helsinki for nearly a week, had to go to and from the airport as well as to and from one of the ports; I never used a taxi. As I said, it simply was not needed!
There are many different companies that run routes to and from Helsinki and other international destinations. There are daily ships that go to Tallinn and weekly boats that run to either Stockholm or St. Petersburg, as well as several other locations.
Tallink (and Silja Line): http://www.tallinksilja.com/en/
Eckerö Line: https://varaamatka.eckeroline.fi/en/
Viking Line: http://www.vikingline.fi/index.asp?lang=en
More Reviews (31)
- See All Helsinki's Mall
- See All Don't bother learning Finnish
- See All The Crown of Helsinki
- Crossing Streets - Walk Signs Change...
- Plan to stay up late!
ZeekLTK's Related Pages
Helsinki Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Home"
- "Helsinki - bears, skaters and religion"
- "Where Slavic charm & Nordic simplicity meet"
- "19/1 Just returned from Helsinki"
- "Helsinki at your service"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Helsinki
- Hotels in Helsinki
- Transportation in Helsinki
- Nightlife in Helsinki
- Restaurants in Helsinki
- Shopping in Helsinki
- Warnings and Dangers in Helsinki
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Helsinki
- 35 Reviews
- 77 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Helsinki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helsinki
Photos in HelsinkiSee All Photos (77)
Top 10 Pages
- Helsinki Intro, 35 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lansing Intro, 22 reviews, 27 photos
- Tallinn Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos
- San José Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamako Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos
- Libreville Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Panamá City Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Mali Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Casablanca Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Concord Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (19)
- Kauppatori (Market Square & Market Hall)- 77 Reviews, 134 Photos
- Suomenlinna Island & Fortress- 104 Reviews, 231 Photos
- Tuomiokirkko (The Lutheran Cathedral)- 112 Reviews, 203 Photos
- Uspenski Orthodox Church- 84 Reviews, 140 Photos
- Temppeliaukio (Rock) Church- 62 Reviews, 111 Photos
- Esplanadi Boulevard- 36 Reviews, 69 Photos
- Olympic stadium- 25 Reviews, 41 Photos
- Korkeasaari (Helsinki Zoo)- 20 Reviews, 42 Photos
- Linnanmaki Amusement Park- 17 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Finlandia Talo (Finlandia Hall)- 8 Reviews, 15 Photos
See All Helsinki Things to Do