"RUTGERS UNIVERSITY" New Brunswick by Michael_D
New Brunswick Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 69 photos
Rutgers University...I went to graduate school here. Founded in 1766, before we were even a nation, its the 8th oldest school in the USA...just behind Brown University and just ahead of Dartmouth. Pretty good company. Its also where the 1st football game was played against Princeton in the late 1800's ..Rutgers won...but didnt beat Princeton again for over 70 years. In the past six years Rutgers has gone to 5 post season bolw games...winning four;-)
Famous alums include Nobel Prize Winning economist Milton Friedman, Selmon Waxman who developed wonder-drug alternatives to penicyllen, National Basketball League comissioner David Stern, thespian/activist Paul Robeson and Ozzie Nelson who quarterbacked the 1950 undefeated football team. Add Olympic soccer player Alexi Lalas. Also TVs Calista Flockhart(Ally McBeal),James Gondolfini(The Sopranos) and Avery Brooks (Hawk on Spenser for Hire and Sisco on Deep Space 9) is the director of the drama department.
.Washingtons troups camped here during the Revolutionary War and used this chapel to plan strategy...it has some really nice stained glass windows commemorating the signing of the University Charter in 1766
- Pros:Some people think Rutgers is Ivy League
- Cons:who am I to correct them;-)
- In a nutshell:New Jersey gets a sometimes deserved bad rap for it aesthetic lack and ecological/pollution problems. Rutgers is one of the good places.
Rutgers University and its neighbor, Princeton, played the first game of intercollegiate football on Nov. 6, 1869, on a... more travel advice
Rutgers is presently ranked #18 in lacrosse... a fast moving sport that has elements in common with football and hockey.... more travel advice
- After 2 years of hard work and...
- Kirkpatrick Chapel
- Packing List
- This is one reason I left. The...
Michael_D's Related Pages
New Brunswick Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "New Brunswick"
- "Seamandrew's New Brunswick Page"
- "New Brunswick otherwise known as Why did I pick RU"
- "stevez99's New Brunswick Page"
- "RUTGERS UNIVERSITY"
- "Call it da Brunswicks..."
- "Rutgers Scarlet Knights"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Brunswick
- Hotels in New Brunswick
- Transportation in New Brunswick
- Nightlife in New Brunswick
- Restaurants in New Brunswick
- Shopping in New Brunswick
- Warnings and Dangers in New Brunswick
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Brunswick
- 15 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to New Brunswick?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Brunswick
Top 10 Pages
- Orlando Intro, 88 reviews, 27 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 53 reviews, 51 photos
- New York City Intro, 48 reviews, 36 photos
- Tallinn County Intro, 39 reviews, 39 photos
- Ithaca Intro, 38 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Dora Intro, 40 reviews, 36 photos
- Rochester Intro, 26 reviews, 31 photos
- London Intro, 29 reviews, 26 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 33 reviews, 20 photos
- Eustis Intro, 31 reviews, 21 photos