"SWITZERLAND" Switzerland by Michael_D
Switzerland Travel Guide: 14,145 reviews and 41,834 photos
Small in size yet huge in visual titilation, Switzerland has perhaps the largest number of small towns amidst the greatest number of lofty peaks of any country on earth. In actuality it is made up of 26 cantons each a sovereign state with its own governmental authority over its state affairs. Indeed the Swiss Federation has become a model of domestic efficiency and foreign neutrality for the entire world.
There are however 3 distinct cultural regions and 4 distinct languages historically. Roughly speaking the regions that touch France, Germany, Italy(and to a modest but debateable degree Austria and Lichtenstein) each have a distinct influence tantamount to each adjoining country. Consequently there are regions that speak predominantly French, German and Italian with a 4th indiginous composite dialect known as Romansch.
But enough with the geo-political banter. To my mind the most evident positive result of this international union is in the area of cuisine. I once had a spaghetti dinner with bratwurst and a souffle...washed down with a German beer and a French wine and oh yes..dessert was a choice between spumoni and an chocolate eclair. Out of respect for the international integrety of the Swiss federation I respectfully chose to have BOTH desserts. In the interest of complete fairness I felt there also should have been strudel. Its only fair;-) Check please!
- Pros:Picture perfect and quaint
- Cons:a bit expensive, but a good number of hostels
- In a nutshell:Always has been my fondest travel memory
And should you GET lost in the mountains, old Bernie will be there shortly;-) more travel advice
Michael_D's Related Pages
Switzerland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Switzerland was my home for more than 5 years"
- "Switzerland like a dream..."
- "Welcome to the Heart of The Alps"
- "The Heart of Europe"
- "I love Switzerland - and all their cable-cars!"
- "VT Meeting Party for Janet"
- "First-Bachalpsee- First_Tour"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Switzerland
- Hotels in Switzerland
- Transportation in Switzerland
- Nightlife in Switzerland
- Restaurants in Switzerland
- Shopping in Switzerland
- Warnings and Dangers in Switzerland
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Switzerland
- 87 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Switzerland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Switzerland
Top 10 Pages
- Orlando Intro, 88 reviews, 27 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 53 reviews, 51 photos
- New York City Intro, 48 reviews, 36 photos
- Tallinn County Intro, 39 reviews, 39 photos
- Ithaca Intro, 38 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Dora Intro, 40 reviews, 36 photos
- Rochester Intro, 26 reviews, 31 photos
- London Intro, 29 reviews, 26 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 33 reviews, 20 photos
- Eustis Intro, 31 reviews, 21 photos
Top Switzerland hotels
- Geneva Hotels
- 980 Reviews - 2075 Photos
- Lucerne Hotels
- 946 Reviews - 2697 Photos
- Zürich Hotels
- 1860 Reviews - 5529 Photos
- Interlaken Hotels
- 506 Reviews - 1355 Photos
- Lugano Hotels
- 390 Reviews - 1036 Photos
- Lausanne Hotels
- 345 Reviews - 879 Photos
- Zermatt Hotels
- 535 Reviews - 1494 Photos
- Beatenberg Hotels
- 1 Review - 1 Photo
- Basel Hotels
- 483 Reviews - 1348 Photos
- Engelberg Hotels
- 78 Reviews - 491 Photos
- Lauterbrunnen Hotels
- 262 Reviews - 779 Photos
- Bern Hotels
- 591 Reviews - 1806 Photos
- Cointrin Hotels
- 4 Hotels
- Montreux Hotels
- 123 Reviews - 414 Photos
- Wengen Hotels
- 84 Reviews - 169 Photos