"Directors cut in Popeye Village" Popeye Village by Bigs
Popeye Village Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 59 photos
I had a good time and a good laugh at Popeye Village. My first impression when I entered the bay was: "Is this all?"
Sure those old skewed houses have their charme, but it's really not much to see.
What made this place so special have been the great entertainment by the animateurs, such as Popeye himself and his love Olivia for example....or the barber of the village.
It must have been a block buster in the early 80s. I have never seen or heard something about the musical movie by Robert Altman, featuring Robin Williams as a young actor in the role of Popeye.
Anyway will have to watch it after my visit to the film set, or what is left of it...
n the late 70s they build up a whole village in Anchor bay, a little bay in the north of Malta. It was the perfect area, as the director looked for a rocky beach with no trees around. As Malta is a rocky island with really not much vegetation this bay was sorted out.
For the wooden houses Canadian pine tiles have been shipped all the way to Malta. Most of them are still seen on the houses, even if a fire destroyed some parts in Sweethaven.
I usually hate all those animation crap, but this time I really l loved it. I think all "actors" have done a brilliant job.
It's a good thing to get the visitors involved in the shows. They played the main parts and even were able to shoot their own Popeye movie......brilliant idea!!!
It's called the Take 2 Show, and you really shouldn miss this!!!
- Pros:You will laugh a lot!!!
- Cons:It costs around 9 ?
- In a nutshell:Fun in the sun!
You will find the cinema in the house with the shark head, when looking from the sea. It's the first on the left when... more travel advice
Another funny show.... Mess around with some shaving-foam doens't sound too funny, you are right, but with the charme of... more travel advice
Bigs' Related Pages
Popeye Village Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Directors cut in Popeye Village"
- "FILM SET OF POPEYE"
- "Poppey Village"
- "Popeye village"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Popeye Village
- 4 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Popeye Village?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Popeye Village
Photos in Popeye VillageSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hannover Intro, 50 reviews, 297 photos, 19 travelogues
- Canary Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 265 photos, 16 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 20 reviews, 253 photos, 19 travelogues
- Laatzen Intro, 58 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zürich Intro, 48 reviews, 149 photos, 9 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 63 reviews, 109 photos, 8 travelogues
- Zimbabwe Intro, 28 reviews, 142 photos, 18 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 35 reviews, 125 photos, 12 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 27 reviews, 115 photos, 12 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 24 reviews, 109 photos, 6 travelogues