"I wanna marry a lighthouse keeper...." Gairloch by Bigs
Gairloch Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 35 photos
Spent four nights at the Rua Reidh Lighthouse, which is at the end of a very lonesome peninsula 13 miles away from Gairloch. This has been the best place we have stayed in in Scotland and I wished to stay forever...well ok, maybe just for the summer. I think life is really hard here in winter. We were lucky with the weather and enjoyed every minute here.
Chris and Fran make you feel like its your home away from home. Will definately come back here.
Gairloch itself is a little resort which is seperated in three parts mainly. here you can see the beuatiful water of Gairloch beach. Too bad it was only 15 °C air temperature. Otherwise we would have dipped a toe into the caribean like water I think....
The beach has been very empty in June...
Gairloch and surroundings is a good starting point to go hiking in the Ben Eighe region. Ithas such useful things as two supermarkets, a post office and last but not least a petrol station (which is closed on sundays though). Gairloch Hotel is the biggest accomodation in town. But you will also find some B&Bs. Gairloch is also home of many marine day trip organisations. I have seen a seal in the harbour when been to the port. If you like to do whalewatching or dolphin spotting there are several organisations for a cruise.... Maybe I will do it next time, would love to see a whale once in my life......
- Pros:Will never forget the long summer nights at Rua Reidh Lighthouse!!!!
- Cons:Can be depressing in winter I guess....
- In a nutshell:A place to forget all around you
Bigs' Related Pages
Gairloch Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Becoming a Highland Resort"
- "Gairloch and Up To Rhuba Reidh"
- "I wanna marry a lighthouse keeper...."
- "Gairloch _ Wester Ross _ Highlands _ Scotland"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gairloch
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Gairloch?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gairloch
- updated a Gairloch Travel Page "I wanna marry a lighthouse keeper...."
- Uploaded a Video to Gairloch
- Commented on one of rsean's Gairloch travel pages
- Wrote a Review It's the end of the world in Gairloch Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "It's the end of the world"
- Posted in Travel Hannover Forum "RE: RE: CeBIT 2007 --..."
Videos in GairlochSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hannover Intro, 50 reviews, 297 photos, 19 travelogues
- Canary Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 265 photos, 16 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 20 reviews, 253 photos, 19 travelogues
- Laatzen Intro, 58 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zürich Intro, 48 reviews, 149 photos, 9 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 63 reviews, 109 photos, 8 travelogues
- Zimbabwe Intro, 28 reviews, 142 photos, 18 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 35 reviews, 125 photos, 12 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 27 reviews, 115 photos, 12 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 24 reviews, 109 photos, 6 travelogues