"Stonehenge" Stonehenge by eledhwen
Stonehenge Travel Guide: 135 reviews and 547 photos
We started our way to Sonehenge early in the morning to avoid the crowds at the place. Well, what should I say about this place. Everybody knows about it quite a lot. When you come near to the circle, you know that where you are standing has been a special place for at least 5000 years, from the beginning of human history.
Nobody knows the secrets of this place...was it a big clock, a temple of Sun, a place of sacrifice, a tribal centre, a religious site, who knows?
Any way, the stones were brought from different places. The outer ring of giant stones joined with lintels is made from sarsen brought from the Marlborough Downs 20 miles away around 2000 BC. The inner horseshoe is made from the famous bluestones, which were brought 240 miles from the Preseli Mountains in Wales around 2900 BC. An overwhelming thought if you know that the stones are 4 or 7 and some even 25 tonnes heavy.
I understand that the stones have to be preserved, but it is a little bit pity that you can not go nearer to feel the energy. You are condemned to the role of an observer looking at the stones from the paths.
eledhwen's Related Pages
Stonehenge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Stones, At Last!"
- "Ancient Monuments"
- "Stonehenge, my least favorite daytrip from London"
- "STONEHENGE The Prehistoric Mystery"
- "Those stones at Stonehenge"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stonehenge
- Hotels in Stonehenge
- Transportation in Stonehenge
- Restaurants in Stonehenge
- Shopping in Stonehenge
- Warnings and Dangers in Stonehenge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stonehenge
- 0 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Stonehenge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stonehenge
Top 10 Pages
- Brno Intro, 15 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- Boskovice Intro, 14 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 8 reviews, 40 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stirling 1 review, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kornati Islands National Park Intro, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isle of Arran 1 review, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Orlicky Intro, 4 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos