"Industrial Beauty and green areas" Essen by sabsi

Essen Travel Guide: 217 reviews and 773 photos

Hi!

When I asked people about Essen they all replied "Oh, it's so ugly". Then I asked "have you been there?" and all said "No".

I have been to Essen several times, mostly for rowing regattas but also for a walk along the Ruhr or to see the Zollverein Pit or the Villa Huegel.

Essen is so green, it's unbelieveable! So don't believe the people who tell you it's ugly....

Glück Auf!
Sabsi

VT Meeting 23 November 2003

We had one of the funniest VT meetings I have ever attended here today. Everything still hurts from laughing so much .... see my travelogues for more!

• Pros:Zollverein pit, Baldeneysee, Kettwig, Villa Hügel
  • Cons:I always get lost in Essen!
  • In a nutshell:Probably the city in the "Ruhrgebiet" with the most green areas!
  • Last visit to Essen: Aug 2002
  • Intro Updated Nov 25, 2003

• pakistanibrain's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2007 at 12:30 AM

Ich werde naechste Woche beruflich fuer 3 Tage in Essen sein und ein Besuch des Zollvereins Zeche ist bereits geplant. :)

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2004 at 9:49 PM

funny idea is to open museum in the former coalmining.

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2004 at 9:48 AM

As you can see.... I started exploring... and planning..... I already had Essen on my list - and your pictures of post-industrial landscape only make me impatient to see it asap.

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2004 at 11:54 AM

I know its green now! You can take me here again anytime!

• Dec 6, 2003 at 4:00 AM

Indeed... a great VT meeting... and I was soooo close! I still have nightmares... why couldn't I find my way?! hahaha

• Mique's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2003 at 3:18 AM

Next meeting in Germany i'll really try to be there. I keep missing all the good stuff..

• Rudolph's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2003 at 4:15 AM

Lovely, you show all my best friends there ;-(( Rudolph Reindeer

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2003 at 1:13 PM

Hallo Sabine , that was some VT meeting , free entertainment from Diana & Jose (they are wonderful) The pictures show the story of a wonderful VT get together It is wonderful to watch . No more meetings till next year eh well who knows never say never.

• erikatheskysailor's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2003 at 12:50 PM

**hilarious!** :D yes... industrial ugliness... some people don't know what they're missing! :p

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2003 at 6:58 AM

Hey, not true, I also had bagel for Essen & 2 cups of coffee, the Weizen was just the dessert and then I went to sleep and missed the rest of the meeting LOL

sabsi

“It isn`t good having anything exciting if you can`t share it (Winnie the Pooh)”

Badges & Stats in Essen