"Varus Battle ~ 9 AD" Kalkriese by sabsi
Kalkriese Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 27 photos
Just a few miles out of Osnabrück you will find the area where the <b>Varusschlacht</b> (Varus Battle) between the Romans and the Germanics took place in the year 9. It was a victory for the Germanic tribes over the Romans. The Roman General Quintilius Varus fell at the hands of Arminus (Hermann der Cherusker).
In April 2002 an excellent museum was opened here which shows the whole story of the battle in a very exciting and creative way. There's a viewpoint on top of the museum tower and you can walk into the field where the battle took place probably. I'll soon add a travelogue to this page as I was really impressed by the whole place so I have to show you more!!!
- Pros:One of the most exciting museums I have ever been to!
- Cons:In the middle of nowhere!
- In a nutshell:If you are in the area you shouldn't miss this place!!!
sabsi's Related Pages
Kalkriese Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "the battle of Varus (clades Variana)"
- "Varus Battle ~ 9 AD"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kalkriese
- 0 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Kalkriese?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kalkriese
Top 10 Pages
- Hannover Intro, 104 reviews, 359 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Düsseldorf Intro, 105 reviews, 235 photos, 18 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 114 reviews, 207 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination British Virgin Islands Intro, 66 reviews, 220 photos
- Ireland Intro, 58 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Helsinki Intro, 84 reviews, 188 photos, 8 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 14 reviews, 222 photos, 11 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 66 reviews, 148 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 85 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 77 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues