"My big neighbour, Cologne (Köln)!" Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne by sabsi

Cologne Travel Guide: 1,647 reviews and 4,297 photos

Cologne (or Köln as we say) has always been one of my favourite city in Germany - along with Berlin and Hannover maybe!

I don't know what it is that makes me so attracted to this place .. the people? .. the museums? .. the nightlife? .. the shopping? .. the cathedral?

I guess it's a mixture of all of these that make me feel at home there somehow...

When I was searching for a job in 2001/2002 I was hoping I'd find a job in Cologne. Eventually I ended up in the "little village down the Rhine" Düsseldorf (as they say in Cologne!). I was still thinking of moving to Cologne but it would have been a bit far to get to work plus the housing situation is quite terrible in Cologne these days. I love living in Düsseldorf now and I can also visit Cologne as often as I want (it's only half an hour from here!).

I am one of the people who live in Düsseldorf and still like Cologne!!

There's a big rivalry going on between the two biggest cities at the river Rhine. It's quite funny to play with the stereotype sometimes but I must say I enjoy both places.

Cologne is bigger and attracts more tourists than Düsseldorf. Düsseldorf is the capital of the Federal State of Nordrhein Westfalen and probably more the polical and economical centre around. Both cities have a great nightlife.

I think the biggest advantage that Düsseldorf has over Cologne is the beautiful area along the Rhine ... without any traffic. In Cologne the big street along the Rhine is passing by quite closely, in Düsseldorf we have a tunnel!).

The biggest advantage that Cologne has over Düsseldorf is the impressive Cologne cathedral!

• Pros:Great shopping, nightlife, cathedral
  • Cons:Everytime I get lost I end up on a bridge crossing the Rhine!
  • In a nutshell:One of my favourite cities in Germany!
  • Last visit to Cologne: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated Apr 11, 2008

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2008 at 8:19 AM

Even in Cologne you are among the Top 5, although you haven't uploaded any pics from last night. It was a fabulous meeting, wasn't it? I just got home and will copy the DVDs soon. Thanks a lot.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2008 at 9:46 PM

thanks your tips are going to be of great help planning my trip ;-)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2007 at 4:32 AM

the Kolsch?? ;)

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2007 at 7:17 AM

Thanks for the photo comments, btw!

• Sep 20, 2005 at 2:24 PM

Thanks for the great pages and tips! We'll be in Cologne next March and you've added a few places on our "to do" list. I've already been there a couple times but haven't seen it all (yet). :)

• Jan&Sho's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2005 at 3:53 AM

Hi, Greetings from the uk, we are planing to visit Cologne on the 13th-17th sept .Really enjoyed reading through your Cologne pages, as we have never been to Germany before your tips are gratefully appreciated. Many Thanks/ Jan & Shoichi,

• sihi's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2005 at 6:55 AM

Beautiful page! I know I will like this city:)) On sunday I start my trip:) Greetingz

• Docu2001's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2005 at 1:54 PM

May be moving to Cologne next year ... I read your comment that the housing situation is terrible there ... What are the good neighborhoods? Best, Doc

• Jun 3, 2005 at 5:07 AM

nice city. I didn' think that it could be possible to find a Roman street in Koln :-))

• Shaunyboy's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2005 at 7:06 AM

Thanks for the tips. I am off to Cologne on Wednesday. I will watch out for my nose while drinking one or three of the local beers! Thanks!

sabsi

“It isn`t good having anything exciting if you can`t share it (Winnie the Pooh)”

Badges & Stats in Cologne

Have you been to Cologne?