"My big neighbour, Cologne (Köln)!" Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne by sabsi
Cologne Travel Guide: 1,647 reviews and 4,297 photos
Cologne (or Köln as we say) has always been one of my favourite city in Germany - along with Berlin and Hannover maybe!
I don't know what it is that makes me so attracted to this place .. the people? .. the museums? .. the nightlife? .. the shopping? .. the cathedral?
I guess it's a mixture of all of these that make me feel at home there somehow...
When I was searching for a job in 2001/2002 I was hoping I'd find a job in Cologne. Eventually I ended up in the "little village down the Rhine" Düsseldorf (as they say in Cologne!). I was still thinking of moving to Cologne but it would have been a bit far to get to work plus the housing situation is quite terrible in Cologne these days. I love living in Düsseldorf now and I can also visit Cologne as often as I want (it's only half an hour from here!).
I am one of the people who live in Düsseldorf and still like Cologne!!
There's a big rivalry going on between the two biggest cities at the river Rhine. It's quite funny to play with the stereotype sometimes but I must say I enjoy both places.
Cologne is bigger and attracts more tourists than Düsseldorf. Düsseldorf is the capital of the Federal State of Nordrhein Westfalen and probably more the polical and economical centre around. Both cities have a great nightlife.
I think the biggest advantage that Düsseldorf has over Cologne is the beautiful area along the Rhine ... without any traffic. In Cologne the big street along the Rhine is passing by quite closely, in Düsseldorf we have a tunnel!).
The biggest advantage that Cologne has over Düsseldorf is the impressive Cologne cathedral!
- Pros:Great shopping, nightlife, cathedral
- Cons:Everytime I get lost I end up on a bridge crossing the Rhine!
- In a nutshell:One of my favourite cities in Germany!
The tourist information has recently moved from a place next to the cathedral to another place next to the cathedral.... more travel advice
The Kandinsky is a kinda stylish bar/restaurant in Cologne's mediapark. It was a bit on the empty side as soon as most... more travel advice
sabsi's Related Pages
Cologne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Cologne"
- "Koelsh, ja wohl"
- "Roman History, Magnificent Cathedral, and Kölsch"
- "My big neighbour, Cologne (Köln)!"
- "Cologne under Construction"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cologne
- Hotels in Cologne
- Transportation in Cologne
- Nightlife in Cologne
- Restaurants in Cologne
- Shopping in Cologne
- Warnings and Dangers in Cologne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cologne
- 50 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 62 Forum posts
- 83 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Cologne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cologne
- Posted in Travel British Virgin Islands Forum "Re: tortola or virgin gorda"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Let's get in shape for Euromeet."
- Commented on one of BillNJ's Cologne travel pages
- updated a Cologne Travel Page "My big neighbour, Cologne (Köln)!"
- Wrote a Review Organic German Food in Cologne Restaurants
Top 10 Pages
- Hannover Intro, 104 reviews, 359 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Düsseldorf Intro, 105 reviews, 235 photos, 18 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 114 reviews, 207 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination British Virgin Islands Intro, 66 reviews, 220 photos
- Ireland Intro, 58 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Helsinki Intro, 84 reviews, 188 photos, 8 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 14 reviews, 222 photos, 11 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 66 reviews, 148 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 85 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 77 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues